Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Livestock Tanks...will this work?

Posted by doucanoe MN 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 14:59

I want to make a couple of small raised beds in my back yard for veggies. I am wondering if galvanized livestock ranks/troughs would work for these.

Your thoughts/comments/ideas would be appreciated.

linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Livestock Tanks...will this work?

Tanks? How big are they? Are there holes in the bottom for drainage? Will they be raised beds or containers?

o

They ought to work nicely, especially for warm season vegetables- beans cukes squash tomatoes peppers etc.
best without bottom though, or you'll need a bunck of serious drainage holes.

o

They should work fine, in fact in australia they use them for that purpose quite a lot, as they are cheaper to ship than wood. try googling images, some are even painted cute colors...

Mel

o

They work!!
I used stock tanks for many years. When I gave up having a large garden I went around the countryside and bought the old and rusty tanks from neighbors. Filled them with black dirt and planted tomatoes, cukes, peppers and even egg plants and lots of flowers. I also bought old metal molasses barrels at our local feedmill and planted in those.
It sure made it a lot easier than all of that bending over in the old veggie garden.

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the replies. I am also looking for other ideas. I think concrete block beds may be a little less expensive.

What other large containers could I consider?

Linda

o

I made two raised beds using large square patio blocks that I got on sale about 10 years ago. I placed two per side on end partially into the soil. At about $2 per block that was less than $16 dollars. I think those blocks cost $3-4 now.

Last year I had to dig some of the soil away from the inside to reposition one side which had pushed outwards a bit. Just pushed it back into place and replaced the soil. This makes for a tall raised bed which was what I wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here