Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melon recs for Zone 4

Posted by soapdish 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 17:36

Anyone with luck growing sweet melons? Any specific cultivars that do well in Minnesota? I also have issues with powdery mildew in my garden. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melon recs for Zone 4

My favorite melon varieties are Athena (cantaloupe) and Passport (honeydew) They ripen in August to early September depending on how warm and sunny the summer is. They haven't had any powdery mildew, but I don't really have the right conditions for P.M. to take hold. My method of growing healthy melon plants is to give them a little mulch to prevent the soil from splashing onto the leaves, make sure they get a lot of air circulation, and make sure they get all day full sun. They need good rich soil that drains well and consistent water but not to the point of being wet. I always get a good crop of melons this way unless the weather is unusually cloudy, wet, or cool.

o
RE: Melon recs for Zone 4

Last year I had great luck with "Minnesota Midget" cantaloupe. They are small (about 4-6" in diameter) and very sweet. I got 5-6 melons per plant (I had two plants). They held up incredibly well to our dry summer last year. I had mulched slightly but otherwise didn't worry about them, save for watering along with the rest of the garden. I had no problem with powdery mildew. (Though I may have had to try very hard for pm to develop last year!)

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here