Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Seed Catalogues

posieh
10 years ago

During this cold and stormy weather it is so nice to receive the new seed catalogues. I've received, Burpees, Guerneys. Territorial Seed Co., Parks, Stokes, Pinetree. Richter's, and Shumway's. There are a couple more I'd like to get. Always love JUngs. What are your favorites?
Which do you order the most from?

Comments (2)

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

I have had nothing but positive experiences from all the companies on my lists, but I strongly suggest to anyone reading this to exercise their own due diligence before making any purchases from any business. I am not affiliated with any of the companies on my lists, but I always urge my fellow Minnesotans to support Minnesota companies when possible. :-)

I get Territorial, Stokes, Johnny's, Kitazawa catalogs - I really like these companies but I do not like their high product prices and/or shipping prices.

Companies that I order from occasionally.
    Jordan Seeds (bulk seeds, a Woodbury, Minnesota company!)
    Prairie Moon Nursery (native flowers only, a Winona, Minnesota company!)
    Totally Tomatoes
    Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
    Fedco Seeds
    Shumway's
    Seeds of Change
    Sustainable Seed (online catalog only)
    Vermont Bean Seed
    Pinetree Seeds
    Jung Seeds and Plants
    Potato Garden (potatoes only)
    Nourse (berry plants only)
    Growers Supply (gardening supplies & equipment only)
    County SWCD's (bulk bare root shrubs/trees - an excellent resource)

Companies that I order from regularly/yearly.
    Victory Seeds (online catalog only)
    Synergy Seeds (rare/unique varieties, online catalog only)
    Sand Hill Preservation (an Iowa company)
    Seed Savers Exchange (an Iowa company)
    Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
    Bountiful Gardens
    Dixondale Farms (onion plants only)

All of these companies offer free hard copy catalogs by request except for those noted "online catalog only". On principle I will not pay for a catalog because to me that is like paying for the privilege of being a customer. All of these companies are accessible on the web, catalogs can be requested through their web sites.

I get quite a few catalogs from other companies that appear to be reputable, but I never purchase from them so I see no point in listing them here.

I welcome any questions regarding my experiences doing business with any of those companies.

Hope everyone is having a great winter!
    -Tom

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

To Tom's list I would add:

(1) http://www.hardyplants.com
    This is another MN outfit (Apple Valley), seeds only, I believe. They often have unusual and hard-to-find items.

(2) I also order from Swallowtail Garden Seeds (Santa Rosa, CA). Very reliable. Quite a few pelleted seeds, which I like.

(3) Quite a good selection of unusual seeds, especially perennials and vines: Gardens North: Seeds for the World. I forget the lady's name who runs it; she used to be in, I think, Ontario; is now in Nova Scotia. Seeds take longer to reach U.S. and catalogue doesn't always indicate what's sold out, but good things here.

Gary

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES