Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longfellowmpls

Manure Sources In the Twin Cities?

longfellowmpls
15 years ago

My annual beds are in need of some good aged manure. I bought a yard and a half (pick-up load full) of -what I thought was- a compost mix at Gerten's last year. It turned out on closer inspection at home that it was mostly aged wood chips! SO my question is- does anyone know of a good manure source that is close to the cities? I have heard that the U's ag program has a heap for people to haul away at will. Does anyone know details on this or know of any other sources? I refuse- will not- buy the plastic bags of poop -at $7 a pop -that are sold at local garden centers. Thanks for your help- everyone on here is always so helpful!

Comments (16)

• joeknowsjolokia
    15 years ago

I live in Prior Lake, I've started asking around, when I do find some I will let you know! It would be cool if you did the same:)

• boyle014
    15 years ago

I get organic gardeners blend at Kern's Landscaping in St. Paul. This is a mix of compost and manure (sifted for a finer texture). You can get a square yard or half yard. I bring it home myself, but they will also deliver it for a fee. I'm not sure what the percentage manure is--you'd want to ask. Another nice thing about Kern's is that you get a discount if you're a member of the Minnesota State Horticulture Society.

One more note. I noticed they weren't open when I drove by about 10 days ago. I hope this is a winter thing and not an out-of-business thing...!

If Kern's doesn't work out, there might be some ideas at the MSHS website.

• boyle014
    15 years ago

Checked Kern's website and they still seem to be operating. I see they have composted manure. The website and prices are at: http://www.kernlandscaping.com/pricing.php.

• zenpotter
    15 years ago

The last I heard the U is no longer supplying manure. I have been getting well aged horse manure from Canterbury Downs in Shakopee. It is free for the taking. I usually call the barns in the spring to find out if it is still available. I have been getting it for 5 or 6 years now. They do not deliver and it is up to you to load it. I know of a landscaper that gets his manure there and I am sure others do as well. I just top dress the beds with it and it works as a compost with the straw in it.

They clean the barns grind the manure and straw up and put it out in wind rows. I always look for the oldest ones. They tend to move them around so I can't give the directions to where they will be this spring. They are always behind the barns. It isn't hard to find then since there are many, many rows.

• longfellowmpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am going with the Kerns option and am planning on them delivering the pile!
    Stuart

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

zenpotter, do you get many weed, wheat seeds sprouting in the compost you get from C.Downs?

• emily_2009
    15 years ago

Zenpotter-

How do you contact the barns at Caterbury? I tried to find out where to pick up manure there last fall, but got no response to my phone call.

Thanks!

• jonas302
    15 years ago

There was a add or two on craiglist for free bagged maunure sitting in the parking lot of a stable it was this week so maybe still there I think there was one in Oak Grove also
    I search for manure also search for poop
    Some had offers to deliver for a fee
    best of luck to you

• zenpotter
    15 years ago

I just saw your questions.

No I do not get seeds from the manure. The only ones I get are those that blow in on top. Since it is mixed with straw there is no wheat seed involved. They use clean straw not what we get in garden centers in the city with so many seeds sill in it.

I haven't had problems getting someone at Canterbury Park. I call the general information number and ask to be transferred to the stables.

General Information: (952) 445-7223 or 1-800-340-6361

• emily_2009
    15 years ago

Thank you zenpotter!!!

• zenpotter
    15 years ago

You are welcome.

• john3941
    15 years ago

There's a place in Maple Plain called Tri-K Sports that sell a 1-1-1 garden mix for $20/yard. They deliver from their Maple Grove site, or you can pick it up there too. They're quite a bit cheaper than Kern's, so if you're set on paying for your soil, here you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tri-K Sports

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

A little north of the Twin Cities but Mississippi Topsoils in Cold Spring sells in bulk.
    They have awesome compost, top soils and mulch made on site.
    ( they also sell bags of their products at a lot of nursery locations - but sounded like you were looking for bulk )
    www.mississippitopsoils.com

• StrohfusStockFarm
    12 years ago

We have COMPOSTED Horse Manure for sale in bags or bulk.

We have branded this 'Pony Cake Compost'.

Delivery can be arranged for added fee.

You can email inquires to: sales@strohfusstockfarm.com

Best Regards,

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Pony Cake Compost

• HU-712072282
    2 years ago

Please check out Gardner's Choice Composted Manure. You can get either Cow or Horse. Located in St. Francis, Mn. 763-464-3472

Sponsored