Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoghaven_duluthmn

black gold, fish emulsion, banana peels, etc.

hoghaven_duluthmn
15 years ago

Do you boost your garden soil with something other than compost or Miracle Grow? A few years ago a friend told me that he used something called "Green Sand." I always intended to give it a try. I have also seen advertisements for soil microbes, micronutrients and fungi as sort of a growth booster. So, I was wondering if you have any special soil additive that you use, or have some other special technique to grow a great garden. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• jel48
    15 years ago

I haven't tried it yet, but one of the neighbors here told me she throws a banana peel in the hole when she plants a rosebush. I haven't tried it, but she raised beautiful roses.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

My dad used to toss his "fish guts", etc. from his fishing trips in the holes nest to trees he planted.

Which always makes me wonder why you couldn't throw that in your compost bin.... But since I don't have the answer, I don't throw that kind of stuff in my compost bin! (grin)

In trying to keep as organic as possible, I don't use a lot of anything on my perennials. Have not much experience with veggie gardening, but I did try horse manure a couple years ago because everyone was talking about it. Even tho my HM was about 3 years "rotted", I got weeds like crazy....not impressed with "black gold".

The compost bin I got last year is brimming with kitchen waste and yard trimmings. I can't wait to try it on my stuff this season!

Linda

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Has your soil tested deficient? Green sand is a conditioner - loosens clay soils and/or binds sandy soils. Organic source for potash and other trace elements.

I just topdress all the garden areas with homemade compost each fall; during the course of the season I'll occasionally use Miracle-Gro on some annuals or container plantings. I don't plant edibles, just perennials, shrubs, and a compliment of annuals - and so far haven't seen any need for any kind of fertilizing program.

• boyle014
    15 years ago

I used to use Miracle Gro, but the last few years, I've been trying to go more organic. I was concerned about the residue of Miracle Gro building up in the soil.

I use composted yard waste and vermicompost and composted manure. When I transfer seedlings outdoors, I mix a bit of potash into the hole before placing them. I also use fish emulsion every two or three weeks. Neptune's, the brand I use, doesn't smell. It's every bit as good as Miracle Gro with less danger of burning the plants. I've also use bat guano to encourage blooms, but I do either guano or fish emulsion--not both. I try to find organic gardening stores that sell this stuff in bulk. Pretty cheap, that way.

Some plants seem to resent fertilizer--I've noticed this with nasturiums especially. I just leave those alone.

So that's my experience. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jel48, roses like bananas, eh? I think I saw on Martha Stewart once, that she puts Epsom salt on her roses. I think bananas are a source of potassium and Epsom salts, magnesium. Perhaps just toss in a vitamin pill? I was also reading that banana peels are a cure for warts!

doucanoe, didn't tbe Indians teach the pilgrims to bury a fish with their corn? I am afraid if I try that, I will have a bear or raccoon following me down the row digging it up! Even if I don't get bears, I am sure my dogs would find it and think they had won the jackpot! Pew!

duluthinbloomz, I am just looking at this the same way I think about buying a new handbag or shoes; mostly just for fun. My friend with the Green Sand was big into organic farmer's market gardening. When I started my garden I bought 2 loads of garden soil from a local business. The first load was "Wisconsin Dirt" and cost about $40 - $50 more than the Minnesota Dirt." I kinda thought I had been scammed, but as it turns out, the Wisconsin dirt WAS better. Kinda a tough pill to swallow! I have been getting small trailer loads of the city compost. Do you think its safe for vegetables? I also put a bunch of semi-composted leaves on, and the soil seems very good.

boyle014, good to know about the bat guano and fish emulsion. I saw an article once about the microbes/micronutrients showing comparisons with Miracle Grow, and the article did make the microbial stuff sound pretty good. I wish I could remember what the products were. I used to always get these advertisements for something called GardensALIVE and Agroflash. I am not sure what these products are. I hope to hear some more good ideas, too.

Sponsored