Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Need advice on conifers

jel48
16 years ago

I know the ground is too hard to plant them yet :-) But I'm doing a little pre-season planning and looking for advice. Most of you know that I'm in a new place now (moved in September) and you might even recall that this yard, even though in town, has a great 'up north' type feeling that I just love. It's bordered by big old pine trees on the back and one side. I did a little pruning shortly after I moved in, to get rid of some of the low hanging branches. This messed with the nice privacy those branches provided. I'd like to plant some low growing conifers in there, kind of below and between the big guys. They would have to be shade tolerent, dense enough to provide privacy, fairly low growing, have that same 'up north' feeling, and as a bonus, I'd like something that provides good shelter or food (or both) for the birds.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind a few low growing deciduous trees or shrubs mixed in for interest, so would like suggestions for those too.... same requirements as the conifers.

Not asking for much, am I ? :-)

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Sounds like a good place for a yew (Taxus x media...both Tauntonii and Densiformis are pretty easy to find).They will tolorate the shade and appreciate the shelter of the pines against winter winds. They are also nice and dense and will provide you privacy and good cover for the birds. The only drawback I can come up with is that they are slow growning, alot of the info sites on them claim a number of pest and disease issues, I have found them to be pretty problem free. I always think that the red twigs of dogwood look nice along with the evergreens, most of them will tolorate the shade, the leaves provide good texture contrast in summer and the red twigs are lovely in winter...
    Good luck and happy dreaming! Helen.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Densiformis is a real slow growing type - 3-4 inches per year usually, and doesn't get more than 2-2.5 feet high, although wider. Tauton is probably the hardiest shrub yew we have here in MN. It will withstand winter sun better than any other, but does turn a bit off-green for the winter. A better choice.

Dogwood shrubs will give that up north feel. A wide variety of twig color nowadays.

Any viburnum hardy here will be shade tolerant, except Juddii, burkwoodii and carlesii. Those three you hardly find available anyway. Juddii and carlesii were at the front of my house, if you remember, and I had two others in my backyard (leatherleaf types) that would be good. Good fall color would be V.lentago, dentatum, trilobum and sargentii types (Onandoga is a favorite of mine). V.lantana types with leathery leaves have so-so fall color, but hold there leaves for a month longer into the fall. All have berries for the birds, except juddii, burkwoodii and carlesii.

Something from the Amelanchier genus (Serviceberry or Juneberry) would be nice - shrubs or small trees.

Gooseberries, currants, maybe try the jostaberry. The clove currant is a currant with the most intoxicating flowers - if you like the smell of cloves (heavenly, IMO).

Would be the perfect time to plant a clematis, especially a species type, right along with the newly planted shrubs. (But not in the same hole.)

• Julie
    16 years ago

I have some Anna Bell hydranga that would do the trick- and some Grey dogwood yours for the digging- Maybe there would be enough light for the red currents I have way too many of-
    I would be tempted to plant sweet autumn clematis- or adlumina fungosa along the fence and save the "floor" space for hosta- lotsa hosta and maybe some ostrich fern towards the back. Hey- I have all of that for you too- except the adlumina, I keep trying to make a go of that- and it either never takes- or I must be weeding it out when I shouldn't be....
    And- well- there is always a huge bunch of grapes you could have, please!?!