Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primgal36

A flowering tree question

primgal36
16 years ago

Does anyone know of a flowering tree that doesn't produce the little fruits? I can't have a lilac since my husband doesn't like them, I have a very small one, but this will be a focal area in a bed in the backyard.

I don't want it to be super large,maybe 10-12feet tall.Am I asking the impossible?

I would just plant one, but I have to live with my hubby, and he hates mess in the lawn, I get by with alot, but he doesn't want the little fruits all over.

Comments (9)

• jazzygardener
    16 years ago

I planted a Pink Diamond hydrangea tree a couple of summers ago and it's gorgeous. It gets clusters of pink flowers that stay all through the summer. In the fall they turn brown but, even then it looks nice. I leave the spent flowers on the tree for the birds. I beleive that it's a dward variety and only gets about 10 ft tall at the max. Look it up on the internet.

• windytown
    16 years ago

There are berryless flowering crabtree varieties out there. I just can't think of any variety names right now. I love dwarf Korean lilacs grown as a standard. They make wonderful mini-trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of M Master Gardener's link

• primgal36
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your input. I currently have the two items you mentioned. This will be the first season I'll see them in bloom. I got these at the end of the season. I love lilacs, but my hubby thinks they're hideous, I did well to get this one. I'll check the U's link.

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

A few more suggestions:

Diabolo ninebark tree form--purple leaves, white flowers
    Polar Joy tree rose--pink flowers
    Royal Star magnolia--Early (April) white flowers

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

I have a pear tree that bears no fruit, a U of M Redbud that is my favorite thing in the world on many days, cool flowers early and a really attractive form, and my neighbors have a Crimson Cloud Hawthorn that is sweet as hell. The Hawthorn gets berries but they are persistant, they hang onto the tree through winter, the birds gobble most of them up before they hit the ground...
    Good luck, Helen.

• primgal36
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had heard the rose trees weren't that hardy, do you have to tip yours?
    See, I'm really going for an old fashioned cottage style garden, I'll have to look into the Crimson Cloud Hawthorn, I like the fact that the birds can enjoy the berries.
    I wanted to do something a little bit different, I have planted two tree peonies, but they're on the side of the yard, like I said, these are small, it will take some time for me to see results with certain things I'm sure.
    I also planted a snowball bush, some other hydrangeas aside from the pink diamond,cranesbill,astilibe,dwarf goat's beard,coreopsis,tulips, daffies, peonies,goldenrod,this is strictly from my memory, I have a ton out there.
    I know peonies take a while to get going, I have a big time thing for them, I have to buy them bare root, or if they're on sale.
    I also have a thing for hydrangeas, and tulips!!! It's hard to restrain yourself, I can have a list, and I do, but when I get in any garden center, all bets are off if I see something that I have to have in my yard. I want to get a Fern leaf peony, but I know they're expensive, but I'm sure at SOME point, I'll cave.
    This year, I think I am going to try to get some of the "limelight" hydrangeas, I think they're absolutely beautiful!
    I'm very excited about this upcoming season, but I have alot to w/s yet, so gotta get on that.
    Thanks for listening to me ramble on and for your advice.

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

I have no personal experience with the Polar Joy tree rose, but is supposed to be fully hardy in zone 4. Link below to Bailey Nurseries (scroll down a bit).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bailey First Editions

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I'll second Helen's thoughts on the Hawthorn. Beautiful blooms, followed by bright red berries which stay on the tree until the birds eat them.

• cheri_mn_524
    16 years ago

Pink Russian almond-more of a shrub- no berries
    azailias-
    rhodadendron-
    you have to have a magnolia
    Wegilia
    If you want more like trees you could probably trim off the bottom shoots..
    Pagoda dogwood.

Sponsored