Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water spikes

Posted by cleocrafta z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 10:10

With all the garden catalogs arriving in this cold spell, I'm busy dreaming and listing my garden goals for this year. I plan on setting up more rain barrels and would like to try the deep-root watering system using the water spikes on milk jugs & 2-liter plastic pop bottles. There are ready made spikes available that simply screw onto the bottle(they are way too pricey for this frugal gardener!!) I was wondering if anyone has come up with a "homemade" version of a spike? I'm planning a trip to HD plumbing dept to see if small diameter pvc pipe with end caps and something from the garden dept might be adaptable?? I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or sources of ready made spikes to compair prices if I can't come up with a "cheap" alternative. Keep warm and dream of sunshine & green, Cleo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water spikes

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 13:42

Hi Cleo! I hadn't seen the spikes you mentioned. Have you seen them online, and (if you have) could you post the URL? Just curious :-)

o
RE: Water spikes

I have buried milk jugs with a few small holes drilled into them next to tomatoes in the past- and I suppose- you could just add a capped and drilled copper or pvc pipe caulked/duct taped to the bottom to the depth you would like...
For me, it wasn't worth the effort of getting the nozzel right into the bottle opening at each plant... as I recollect-
I use the "moat" method and aim across the garden! Much more imperfect and lazy!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here