Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

resources for ponds in MN

mantorvillain
16 years ago

OK, I'm hoping this is the year I get around to putting in my small pond so I'll start here as many on other forums are in much warmer climes. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of using a wood barrel with bamboo outlet into the pond (or an intermediate height resevoir which would overflow into the pond) for the 'spashing water sound'.

I had anticipating starting out with one of the larger preformed liners but the pond sites and bloggers I have read so far all say use a flexible liner.

What say you any minnesota ponders?.......and is there a relatively straighforward book etc that you would recommend as I am going in 'blind' at this point and probably need to do more than a little research before I start digging and buying.

Thanks everyone,

Will

Comments (6)

• carmellia
    16 years ago

Will, have you checked with Vermillion Gardens? They are in Vermillion, just past Hampton. I think that is Highway 61. I haven't been there yet, but I understand that they are very knowledgeable and THE place to go for aquatic plants. I plan to go this summer just to look around at the plants. My little pond is so tiny it cant support a lot of plants.

And remember, if you need a lotus, I'm sure I will have plenty to share again this spring. I can't remember if it is white and turns pink, or pink and turns white. Carmellia

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the lead. I'll google them and maybe go for a visit. Will

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Hi Will, I replied over on the pond forum but thought I'd check in here. I posted a photo of my pond over there for you etc.

I've not been to Vermillion either! Out here in west central MN the nurseries that carry pond plants are few and far between so I rely on plant exchanges alot! Carmellia - I just about ordered Lotus tubers today - would you have one for trade for me? I've never tried one before and would like a smaller one for a 1/2 whiskey barrel.

I've never to MN gardens before, Hi all!

S

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for posting that pic Sheepco. I just updated over on ponds. How deep is the pond you dug out? Do you leave your fish in it over the winter? If so, do you just use a stock tank heater?
    Thanks, Will

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

Koi Acres
    11100 240th St
    Scandia MN
    www.koiacres.com
    651-257-2589

They were our speaker last night at the MN Aquarium Society meeting. They will install or provide you all the stuff you need for a do it yourself project. They have both the liners and the spray foam liners. They are open now on weekends but ask that you call first.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Hi Will,
    Didn't know about Koi Acres either, learn somethin' new everyday :) I replied over on ponds too.
    You'll want to dig to below your frost line.
    I overwinter all my hardy pond plants and my fish in my 300ga pond (28"). I use a small stock tank heater to keep a hole open in the ice for gas exchange (plant decay and fish waste) and a tiny aquarium airstone which makes me feel better about the fish even though it's effectiveness is questionable.

What you want from your pond will determine how big or deep you dig. Just plants? Some goldfish or comets? Koi? Bog? Natural? Formal? Each kind, or combination has different requirements. I have lots of plants, few fish and get away with minimal filtration. Mine is also DIY and very low budget. If you want koi you need big and deep. Remember all ponds need some maintinance too, I skip most of it, but do spend an hour or two a week in the spring and about 1 hour a week summer and fall. Again, try to figure out what you want and point your research in that direction.

I will tell you, there is nothing better than coming home from work, pouring a glass of wine and sitting by the pond listening to the water trickle to ease the tension right out of you. My pond is one of the best things I've ever done for myself :)

Good luck, S

Sponsored