Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmo1_gw

looking 4 vines

cosmo1
16 years ago

I have been looking around the web 4 some annual flowering vines, but mostly going in 0's. Would like to get something different 4 the back. I've put Mandivilla & thunbergia out front with my Ramblin Red rose. Anyone know a web vender or local (twin cities) outlet where I can get the plants? Guess I may have to wait 4 the Friends Sale in Spring, but we got there early & I ended up getting the last 2 thunbergia last year. Do love the vines tho, & would like a few out back, 10 ' or so. Sun's no problem. Don't want something that'll close up 4 the day & do it's thing at night. Don't like cupsaucer vine - or little tiny flowers that you can't see, yes, I am a flower freek! Wish someone actually specialized in them??? Plus has anyone planted the sambucus sutherland gold or blackk lace? Is the sun a problem with the so.gld? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• carmellia
    16 years ago

I have no info on the VINES part of your posting, but I did plant a Black Lace Elderberry late last summer. (Got a GREAT price at Menard's year end clearance.)

I have four other elderberries (2 Woodpecker's Alley and 2 unknown), so I thought polination would be no problem. Now I have read that the lacey type sambucas will polinate only with another lacey type. I sure hope that isn't true. I planted it only partially for aesthetics - I mostly wanted more berries. Carmellia

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

Thunbergia is very easy to start from seeds which are available from most seed venders. Lots of varieties of color. I grew the orange last year but found some pink ones for this year. I have gotten mandevilla from Linders Garden Marts and Bachmann's. Don't know if they sell small starter plants though. This year the mandevilla that I am over wintering is growing well, no blooms but lots of new leaves. I love the pink blossoms. Have you seen the red? There is another vine similar to mandevilla but with smaller smoother leaves, can't think of the name right now. Also found at garden centers in the spring.

How about bougainvillia or flowering maple?

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am in love with Hyacinth Bean vine. It has gorgeous foliage and beautiful spikes of purple and pink/white sweet pea like flowers all summer.

I tried a Scarlet Runner Bean last summer but like the HBV much better.

Best thing about either is you can collect the seeds and grow it again next year!

Linda

• mimi_stpaul
    16 years ago

I have the Southerland Gold Elderbery, I trained it as a small tree. Everyone thinks it is a Japanese Maple. It gets full sun and flowers and fruit. It really grows fast. This is it's 4th year and stands about 8ft tall. I keep it around 4-5 ft around. Planted the black lace in the late summer not much growth on it.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Linda,

I have tried hyacinth bean twice and never saw a flower...Good sun, nice foliage NO flowers, this disappointed me to no end, Any idea why? I am taking it personally till I find out...

Cosmo1...you do morning glories...right? Can't imagine a summer without them...

Helen.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I am a huge morning glory fan. I like grandpa Otts and star of yelta. I start them from seed because it is outrageous how much the nurseries want for one plant.

• cosmo1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the info. regarding the Southerland Gold & the Vines. Have looked up the bean vines & there is one called Ruby Moon / is that a possibility? It's a beaut. Thanks Linda. Mimi, you have your s. gold in the sun? Thats great to hear, since they constantly iterate it's an improved hybred regarding sun, but I did't know if it would fade, or what it was improved over, or why. So part or full sun is okay, good. I did purchase a packet of blushing susie from jungs. As I don't know a thing about growing from seed, I figure, chances are there won't be too many vines coming from that direction. did purchase the lights & flats tho. Helen, while surfing around looking 4 the bean vine, I saw info regarding their liking for non-enriched soil. sorta like cosmos & such. Thank you all!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor