Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
U of M Soil Testing

Posted by soilent_green 4b MN (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 11:51

For anyone interested, here is the link to the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Laboratory. Mail in the soil sample, nine dollars for the basic test, which is all most gardeners would need. Added fees for various in-depth testing options. Results are mailed back to you. Much more accurate than any home do-it-yourself soil testing kits or electronic meter gizmos.

http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/index.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: U of M Soil Testing

The basic test is $15 but the farm test is $9. I believe. I do the farm test since I have 1/2 acre garden and am organic and don't care about the fertilizer recommendations. $15 is one of the higher costs for soil tests around BTW. Especially if you have more than one area to test.

o

Thanks for the correction. Typical confusing bureaucratic paperwork threw me a bit off the trail. Kind of odd that there are two different prices but the tests seem to be for the same things.

Minnie, can you toss out some leads for any other sources in Minnesota that do soil testing cheaper and cater to home gardeners? Just wondering what you had in mind regarding cheaper services elsewhere.

I found a list of Mn Dept. of Ag. certified soil testing laboratories at:

http://www2.mda.state.mn.us/webapp/lis/soillabs.jsp

Many companies on the list are out of state. A cursory investigation found some of the websites to be most unhelpful and vague, some are big-ag related and don't seem interested in offering their services to home gardeners, and some are excellent and very informative but I found test costs to be more expensive than the U of M.

Thanks for the help.

o

Oh people on other forums always talk about soil testing labs here and there. You can send your soil anywhere in the country; it doesn't have to be tested in MN. I don't have any specific info but could get some if you want from my og forum.

o

Yes, a person certainly can ship the soil sample out of state but I prefer to keep my spending in-state or local when possible.

I guess I will just stick with the company I have already been working with. A little more expensive testing costs but it is a private, local, tax-paying, job-creating buiness rather than a money-siphoning government entity. I test every three years so my costs per growing season are insignificant.

I originally posted just to make sure folks, especially new gardeners, are aware that there are affordable options out there rather than buying into those practically useless home do-it-yourself things offered in seed catalogs. I do appreciate you correcting the information I offered because incorrect info is worse than no info.

Enjoyed the conversation. Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here