Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for suggestions on ground cover for septic mound

Posted by sephira z3 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 13:38

Looking for suggestions on ground cover planting for septic mound. I want something that will disguise the harsh, artificial look. That something has to be non-poisonous to horses should it spread beyond the mound, and it would be nice if it didn't tempt deer to prance around all over on it.

I am also looking into a medium-height, minimal spread hedge for the north side so the winter snows blowing across the open field settle on the mound for insulation, instead of blowing across it and scouring it bare

This hedge, besides serving a winter snow fence, will also serve as the property line, and hopefully make the deer (and stray neighborhood livestock) detour the long way around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for suggestions on ground cover for septic mound

A few suggestions for a groundcover, but I don't know about the toxicity to horses:

Comptonia--Sweet Fern
Gro-low Fragrant Sumac
Juniper-many low growing, spreading varieties

For the hedge, I would consider some of the upright, narrow growing Junipers if you want evergreen.

o

Great growing ground covers
Lamium
Vinca vine-perennial
Ajuga
creeping jenny
woodland poopie, yellow taller but reseeds great
perennial violas-reseeds great
perennial aster grow thick for a hedge and in winter the stocks stay.. the purple one grows best.
A friens of mine has alot of different plants on her septic mound and it looks great...

o

(heeheeehee! "woodland poopie")

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here