Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria

Posted by lfellow Zn4 TwinC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 06 at 17:11

OK I am probably getting way over board with my 'plans' for the yard (certifiable garden freak here) - I'd love to be able grow Kentucky Wisteria on the south side of my house.

However I've heard two things: that it is not hardy in our zone and that it is finicky about blooming.
Anyone have any experience with this plant (getting it to winter over and having it bloom)- I am willing to go above and beyond what it takes to make it grow (if its possibility).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria

I planted "Aunt Dee' in summer '04 so I can't attest to it's ability to bloom in mpls. It died back by about half the winter of 04-05. Last summer it grew like crazy (about 10ft) so definitely have an idea of what kind of support system you are going to have for it. I have 25 feet of lattice fence for it to cover. I would conisder where it is planted a somewhat sheltered spot from the wind, though no heat from structures. So I will see how it does after this winter in terms of die back and decide if I am going to stick with it. In the meantime it's covering my fence quickly and the foliage looks nice. Last year I saw a "Blue Moon" wisteria that is supposed to be hardier. Hopefully someone else will have more info.

o

Blue Moon wisteria is very hardy and has been a reliable bloomer for approximately the past six years in our yard, and in most summers repeats its bloom 2 to 3 times. It is not in a particularly protected location.

o

I have the asian wisteria and it's hardy. It is planted near the house on the south side. Mine bloomed the first year, and that was a bit on the lucky side, I think. In fact, one year it bloomed FOUR times for me! Some individual plants don't bloom for several years, though there's things one can do to encourage bloom, such as root pruning. It often sends up shoots from the base in the spring; if you're anywhere near the western 'burbs, you're welcome to try and root some cuttings.

o

Has anyone trained Wisteria into standard form? i have a baby Aunt Dee that I planted last autumn... I'm hoping to treain it into a weeping tree for the patio. any thought or suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here