Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
z4herblady

What are you doing?

z4herblady
16 years ago

Such a "dead" time. But maybe not?

I'm trying winter sowing. What a "winters blues" balm.

Took geranium cuttings for rooting. These are from wintered house plants.

Potted up, after trimming, geraniums from dry stored in the basement

Started some seeds.

What's your winter analgesic?

Comments (13)

• jel48
    16 years ago

I adopted two sweet little dogs from a rescue organization, just last Sunday. They've been here for a week and they are a great remedy for winter blues :-)

Meet Lexie and Tessa

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

What beautiful dogs. Glad they add some joy and excitement to your home.

• primgal36
    16 years ago

Well, the w/s has definately helped. Haven't had much time for anything else. Moving a shop keeps you busy, I'm transitioning right now, so it's exciting and stressful all together, I'll be glad when it's over.
    I still have alot to plant yet, and hope to get that done.
    I will, I always do.

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Winter is definately not down time for me. I'm always out with the dogs running, snowshoeing, sledding, etc so we keep very busy. And this time of year is good for working on all those little projects around the house that don't get done during gardening season. I really need to find time soon to get started on my winter sowing...

So until the weather warms up and the snow melts away we will be doing lots of this

We even did a race. No time for sitting around bored at my house!!

Jel- those new dogs are really cute. I'm glad to hear they are working out well for you. My 3 are rescues too..

• jel48
    16 years ago

Thanks, mnwsgal and twohuskies! Twohuskies, my little tibetan spaniel thinks she is a sled dog too, the way she pulls at the leash. Only problem is she only weighs 13 pounds so I'm gonna have to get a really, really lightweight sled :-) Isn't rescue a great, worth-while thing? I bet you and those big guys have a great time sledding. It looks like a LOT of fun!

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Yes, we have lots of fun sledding. So much so that winter seems to go by too quickly (gasp!!!!!). But as that winds down spring quickly arrives and I get so excited to see my flowers again. Rescue dogs are great and I'm so thankful to all the volunteers that put in so much time with the foster dogs.

• dirtbert
    16 years ago

Having fun with our two new malamute puppies.
    Some wsing.
    Lots of scrapbooking.
    Even more garden "planning", dreaming of new plant combinations, reading my journal of what worked and didn't work last year and the notes of things I wanted to try this year.
    And of course hanging out on the gardenweb forums...LOL

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Some WS, planning plant combos, taking a few cuttings. Doing all the things that don't get done during the gardening season. Finding time to do a little reading. Whatever it takes to stay busy and not think about the cold weather.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

Sitting around feeling sorry for myself. I fell on my basement steps and tore several ligaments in my right ankle and foot. Beyond that I am planning and thinking. I made a drastic move and did not do any winter sowing not one seed. This is the year to split, move and tidy up. This must be what it is like to quit smoking.

• Julie
    16 years ago

Oh Zen- sorry to hear of your injuries!! I do hope you heal well and fast!
    You have some new cuties there Joyce! I can't wait to meet them!
    Nice pics there 2Huskies!! Now- that looks like FUN!
    We have a rescue too (the cat is as well, so maybe it's "we have a rescue two!")- he is a 98 pounder (in summer) a lab probably golden mix who just LOVES winter! We tried to find a sled harness for him a few years back as he really would be fun to go skjoring(?) with... But he was too large for any we came across. He is really good with Gee and Haw- Back and Go- although- I really wouldn't have a clue as how to fix him up with a speedometer or rather a De-celerator.... He loves to run fast!! A 12 to 14 mile clip is a mere lope for him- he has clocked out at 23 miles an hour along side the bike for sustained bursts.... Way too fast for a romp in the woods in winter with ropes and skis and me attached...
    I have been busy with seeds (of course)- cleaning, stuffing into packets, filing and trading (unloading) seeds- and learning about the seeds I have acquired, and winter and indoor sowing, and leaning even more about lilies.
    I learned a bit about how to blow glass and made a round ball ornament- and tried my hand at glass fusing too! Glass is such dangerously fun stuff to create with!
    And when the weather is warmer- I have been keeping the hubby company in the "shop" and doing a few woodworking projects alongside him. I think they will be next years Christmas presents, if I can give them up that is...
    We have both been missing green- and with no warm vacation in sight, we went to the Como Conservatory last weekend. That was a very nice diversion! If you haven't been in a while- there is a new fern room- and a huge tropical exhibit with plants- birds- ponds and even a sloth!! We were both quite pleased with the orchids on display throughout the place, left overs from the show I would guess. A very nice diversion indeed! I recommend it for any one that is feeling the need for green...

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

DH took a week's vacation and we spent the week being tourists in Mpls. Went to several movies on the Oscar best picture list. Also visited the Conservatory (early in the week). I stood in the tropical garden listening to the birds and letting the mister add some moisture to my dry, dry winter skin. Went to Linders' and Bachmann's to search for seeds to winter sow. Thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon at the MN History Museum. Tried some new places to dine.

Have been following the sun from chair to chair with a book in hand as I try to decrease the number of books in my pile.

Only one jug has been winter sown but have sorted my seeds and will start sowing in earnest this weekend.

Other activities include shoveling snow from my long, long driveway and keeping the bird feeders filled and the bird bath clean. Love watching the birds and have seen several different kinds of woodpeckers at the suet feeders this winter.

Hurry, spring.

• giantslug
    16 years ago

I've been going outside with all of my warmest clothes on and deciding what I am going to plant where, and visualizing what it will look like. Also, I am starting a whole mess of Amaryllis bulbs I have grown from seed, and enjoying the progress that my Natal Plum seedlings have making since I started them from seed I collected in California.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Plant lovers seem to always have a heart for animals too, I get that diversion...I went back to school. So my head is always going going...and the winter with it. Thank goodness! I also just spent a week in Jamaica, that, was lovely.

Helen.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH