Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggetydig

Searching for hosta seller's

diggetydig
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've been posting on the hosta forum for a short while and just fell into the MN forum. Googled something and came up with all of you. Read some of the old post's and have some questions perhaps you can answer. Who is and how do I find my way to the hosta lady in Oak Grove? Same question different city or are they the same person? Who is and how do I find my way to the hosta lady in St. Francis?

Next question: Can some one tell a newbie about the Minnesota plant exchanges. When, Where any special plant emphasis? I have quite a few hostas, many common, few rare and am always open to a swap.

Has anyone ever done an exchange on the garden web exchange page? How did it go?

I have already left teresa (from the hosta forum) my email for a few sales she knows of.

Thanks for any info.

I know I'm planning ahead but this time of the year I have to dream!

Thanks, I know, I know too many questions for one post!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone

Vicki

Comments (17)

• tsbccowboy
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Vicki,

Most of my Hostas have come from mail order or eBay. A local nursery I like in Mendota Heights is Larson's Nursery. They are across the river from the Minneapolis-St Paul Airport. Their Hostas are all $6 each or 4 for $20. The leaves get burnt during the Summer but they have great roots.

I recall Teresa mentioning Karla and Jim's sales. I have purchased a couple Hostas from Karla on eBay and they were huge. I hope to make it to both of their sales. Jim sounds like he is a pretty good seller too.

If you would like to see samples of the mail order Hostas I purchased, I have them on my photo album site:
    http://imageevent.com/tsbccowboy/theyardplants/2004/plantordersin2004
    http://imageevent.com/tsbccowboy/theyardplants/2005/plantordersin2005
    http://imageevent.com/tsbccowboy/theyardplants/2006/plantordersin2006
    http://imageevent.com/tsbccowboy/theyardplants/2007/plantordersin2007

Most of these have web addresses of the nurseries where I purchased the Hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 orders

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

If you get a chance, also check out Savory's Gardens--haven't been there in a while, but their demonstration plantings were always wonderful and Mr. Savory developed a number of varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory's Hosta Gardens

• john_w
    17 years ago

A great hosta nursery in the metro area is Funkie Gardens in Prescott, WI, just across the MN-WI border. A good place for that Sat AM excursion. Lots of other plants. They specialize in the unusual, hard-to-find plant. The place is a gorgeous, restored mansion and carriage house. Just going there is a treat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Funkie Gardens

• tsbccowboy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info on Funkie's. It looks like a must-see nursery.

• tammymn
    17 years ago

Many gardners do plant sales, and I am one of them. I have about 60 named hostas and I usually divide some for my sale which is during Woodbury Days. The plants I sell are 3 and 5 dollars. If you send me a email I will give you the dates in May times and directions.

• diggetydig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info. You're right Funkies looks like fun, I am going to make a Saturday morning excursion.
    I will post the two sales, in May, when I get more information. Or send me an e-mail and I'll forward them to you.

Loved Savory's first time there last year.

Thanks everyone

Vicki

• jenlaurel
    17 years ago

Creative Gardens in Willmar is a beautiful place to visit as well - I don't know where you live, but it might be worth a try. I visited twice last summer and bought a few plants. Plan on staying for a few hours!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

jenlaurel, Can you tell me a little more about Creative Gardens? Do they have display gardens? Do you have an address or phone number? I'm always looking for places for our Garden Club to tour. We have quite a few senior members and long car rides are uncomfortable for them but we could make Willmar in an hour or less.

• jenlaurel
    17 years ago

Creative Gardens does have a beautiful display garden. The gardens surround a private home, so the hours are limited. Last year it was open to the public on Thursdays and Fridays from 9-6, Saturdays 8-2, or by appointment.

I only have a couple of pictures to share (I was too distracted by the hostas to remember to take more pictures!):

Lady Isobel Barnett

Minnesota Nice

Here's the info I have:

Julayne Mayer, owner
    429 Co Rd. 9 SE
    Willmar, MN 56201

email: julaynemayer@hotmail.com (She will send you a price list)

• Julie
    17 years ago

As far as our MN GW swaps go-
    The "metro" area has had a spring and fall swap- and a seed exchange in the winter. The "southern" area has started having swaps as well- the first last fall and another planned for the spring (usually June). Usually the date
    will be posted by the host(ess), closer to the time of the swap. Linda/ DoYouCanoe is hosting the Metro spring swap- and Dave/LazyWeeder has dibbs on the Fall swap.

Joyce/Jel48(?) has already posted in the exchange forum that she plans to host the southern area spring swap.

The hosts have volunteered themselves usually by expressing a desire at an ongoing swap. I have wondered if a sign-up sheet like other large swaps keep might be a good way for us to proceed....

As far as the plants go for the plant swaps- what ever you have to share is brought. For those starting out- that might not be much- and for others like my self who tend to start too many seeds- it might be a boat load of seedlings- for those with mature gardens- it might be a bunch of divided perennials- basically, anything goes. You are usually expected to take home your plants that do not get selected. There have been those garden folks who have sent in plants to share through the mail- or with another who is planning to come even though they will not be attending themselves.

Folks who are planning to go are encouraged to complete personal pre-arranged trades before the actual swap begins. Pre arranged trades are usually set up through e-mails sent in advance of the swap, between folks planning to attend.

It is a swap first and foremost- so the expectation is that you bring something to exchange- but if all you have is a smile, and FOOD- well, I do not think any one has been turned away, but they may have not been allowed to participate in the first few rounds of swapping where the most choice selections are claimed immediately.

I have found, with most swaps- folks unload their labeled, individually potted/bagged goods in the yard in their own little area. As we wait for all to come- we walk around admiring and making mental notes of what we are interested in. As the swap starts, usually, everyone is given the opportunity to introduce themselves and to briefly announce what they brought. Most swaps proceed in "rounds". Usually, in rounds 1-3, folks are asked to select 1 plant. That way- every one has a better chance to get a "Goodie". And then they proceed with take 3 plants per round. Till the end where folks are asked to take what ever they want till it is gone- or you have to pick up your leftovers.
    Then we socialize (some more), eat (pot-luck)- and load up our treasures. It is a great experience!

So far the seed swap has been a free4all- dig through seed boxes- eat- talk- what ever!

As far as trading in GW goes,
    I routinely swap for seeds and participate in round robins on the forums- and by sending an e-mail to those who post trade pages. I like to ask for what I want- and offer something they may like, as seen on their wants, from my list in the same e-mail. Then we usually "beef up" the swap from there.

I have just last year attempted to send plant material through the mail for swaps. I was worried about my ability to pack a plant and have it make it alive to it's destination. So far, so good!

It is my experience that folks who trade, trade well, and want to be treated fairly- as well as treat others fairly. Communication is the key- state expectations and conditions, and ask for theirs in return. In my opinion, most gardeners are generous, trusting and trustworthy souls.

I would suggest that you read about swapping on the WinterSow forum FAQ's. There are many basic etiquette suggestions outlined there that can be applied for any trade.

I have enjoyed trading through GW very much! It is wonderful to both give and receive!

I think you will enjoy it as well!

I wonder if we can now use GW to post all of our sale dates... It would be a great advertising tool, but it is also nice that GW is a place where no monies exchange hands- and the forums are used for freely sharing experiences, thoughts, ideas, and swapping goods.

I hope this answers some of your questions- and I hope to meet you at one of our swaps!

Julie

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

jenlaurel, thanks for sharing your info on Creative Gardens. Will have to check them out.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I think I have the info at home about the gal in Oak Grove/St Francis. Let me see if I can find it, and if I can, I'll post for you. She did a class at the Isanti County Master Gardener's annual event in Cambridge a couple of years ago. She has TONS of hostas, and knows about all there is to know about them, too!

Linda

• diggetydig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OOOOHHH!!! My!!

I am overwhelmed by everyones thoughtfulness and help. It's a wonderful experience to find people with the same passion for gardening. My husband just smilles at my therapy and totes the shovel around. I just did a hosta count over 200. Most are labeled and I hope to find them all with pips this spring.
    I am excited to attend my first swap and will definitely brush up on "my company manners" LOL

Thanks for the great info and maybe I'll find the hosta ladies

Vicki

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

I sent you an email with the Hosta Lady's info and plant list. (if anyone else needs it send me an email and I'll forward it)

The best way to get started trading on GW is to list the plants/hostas you have on your trade list. That way others will know or be able to find what you have to offer.

Take a look at my trade list and let me know if you'd like to trade this spring!

Dave

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Dave, you have mail. I can't find my info on the hosta Lady.

Linda

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Don't forget Jay and Dory Venero of Venero Gardens in Shorewood. Beautiful display gardens and great selection of plants. Call for an appt. 952 474 8550.

• hosta_fever
    15 years ago

Hi all! New to the forum. A friend of mine heard tell of the Hosta Lady in Anoka/Oak Grove, and we are both very interested in going out there (we live in that general area). Could someone post or email me contact info/directions? So far my favorite place to go look at hostas is Savory's -- love it -- but prices can be high and hostas for sale can be small compared to what you can get elsewhere. But it is so worth the trip to tour the gardens and they have hard-to-find varieties that are worth the splurge. Funkie sounds like an absolute must-see! Thanks for the ideas!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner