Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Tomato Seeds

mnwsgal
11 years ago

While I know these can be ordered online I try to buy locally first. I am looking for someplace in the greater Mpls area which sells heirloom and unusual tomato seeds.
These are some of the varieties I would like:
Early Wonder
Juane Flammee
Kimberly
Legend
Matina
Moravsky Div
Sophie's Choice
Stupice
Sun Sugar

Comments (10)

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Bobbie - I just started going thru my tomato seed stash last night (Wed) and I beleive I have a few of your wanted seeds. A few, however, are seeds I received in trade if that's okay. I'll shoot you an email later regarding what I have that I can send across town to you!

Sandy

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sandy, I will wait to hear from you before sending off an order.

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Bobbie - I sent you an email!

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the trade, Sandy. Here's to delicious tomatos this summer.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Why just buy in Minneapolis I wonder? I never regarded seeds as something to buy locally. I do seed trades all over. Some of those varieties are hybrids. Have you checked Tatiana's tomato base?

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

While I buy seeds online and also have traded seeds throughout the U.S. and Canada I like to support local businesses and was checking if anyone knew of a local source before ordering or setting up trades. I am familiar with the seeds offered in my area of the Twin Cities but not in other areas and wondered if anyone had a source I might not know. An afternoon excursion to a local nursery is more interesting than ordering online and though I wish I could check all the nurseries in the area personally that is not something I can do at this time.

Tatiana's site is a good suggestion. It is very informative and I have used it often.

Most of the above seeds were rec'd in recent trades and with online orders. Over the years I have grown dozens of heirloom and hybrid tomato varieties. This year I am trying different varieties of early tomatoes. Just for fun!

• katkni
    11 years ago

Seed Saver's Exchange isn't exactly local, but I believe they are our neighbors in Iowa.

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

I have no affiliation to the following company other than being a satisfied customer.

Jordan Seeds out of Woodbury, MN offers seeds in small bulk quantities (fractional ounce, ounce, 100ct, etc.) and bulk quantities (fractional and multi pound, 1000ct, 10,000ct, etc.) where applicable. Much cheaper per-seed prices than the small retail packs. Might not be practical for people with small gardens, but seeds for most vegetable types, if stored properly, will stay viable for years so the unused seed can be saved for future seasons. People could also do group purchases and divide up the seeds.

They have very limited varieties of heirloom tomatoes such as what the OP wants, but the point is that it is a local company, which is what the OP stated was an important consideration. I too, as a habit, support Minnesota companies over out-of-state companies when feasible and urge others to do so as well.

They also offer seed starting supplies and market garden supplies at decent prices. They have a website and offer a hard copy catalog.

-Tom

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I checked out Jordan Seeds and as you noted they sell quantities too large for my small vegetable garden. Glad that you have had good experiences using them and their products.

My tomato seeds for this year are sown with first germination today, four days later. Looking forward to good eating this summer.

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Bobby - Thanks too for the seeds you sent. Those I've sown have germinated and are happily sitting under lights with all the others (way too many) that I'm growing. I too am looking forward to garden fresh tomatoes, peppers, etc..... This winter has gone on long enough...

Sandy

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz