16 years ago

Saturday March 15th at 10am

Meet at Orchids Unlimited in Plymouth:

4630 Fernbrook Lane N.

Plymouth MN 55446 U.S.A.

1-800-669-6006

1-763-559-6425

We'll spend a couple of hours browsing around and then

go to Baker's Square for pie and coffee.

Who wants to go?

Comments (18)

• jel48
    16 years ago

I'll be the first to raise my hand!

• jel48
    16 years ago

Anyone else interested? It will be a nice breath of spring, only about a month early :-)

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jel48, I'm going for sure even if nobody else joins in. My two youngest will be tagging along too.

• jel48
    16 years ago

I'm surprised nobody else wants to go, but I'm still game. I'll see you and your kids at Orchids Unlimited Saturday morning, unless I hear from you saying you've changed your mind. And everybody else, it's still an open invitation. A breath of spring. Remember what that is? I've almost forgotten myself...

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gonna be there for sure. Kids want to go. Bring your hosta list if it's updated. See ya Saturday!

• suzinnia
    16 years ago

I won't be able to join the festivities (the need to earn a paycheck interferes), but I have somewhat recently been there with a friend and it is a mind blowing place. Honestly. Really really special treats....pretty like a secret whisper. If anyone is "on the fence" and you've never been there, I'd like to gently push you off of the fence and onto the "orchid side"
    Think of me when you eat that pie! (that way I won't take in the calories!!)
    For anyone who hasn't met Dave's daughters, that's another treat!
    Suzy

• jel48
    16 years ago

Still on track for tomorrow, Dave. Seeya there!

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good see ya at 10

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Only the 2 of us showed up yesterday but we had a great time. I've never been to Orchids Unlimited...WOW...it was like fast forwarding to spring. Many of the orchids were in bloom and the variety there was incredible. If you haven't been there it's worth a visit even if it's just to snoop around. The staff there is very friendly and helpful.

My daughter bought two orchids (these were her first) and Joyce picked up "a few" too.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Ditto on what Dave said! Orchids Unlimited was a LOT of fun. We even had to take our coats off to avoid being too warm :-) And Suz, you were right! Both about the place and about Dave's girls, who were an absolute treat to visit with! I'd have never know there were fairy orchids if they hadn't been along and I'm glad I got the chance to find out :-)

Dave, I put a link, down below, to some pics of my dogs for the girls to check out:

And, for everyone else, I have (I think) three photos from Orchids Unlimited, that I took before my camera batteries went dead. The camera is still in the trunk of my car, but I'll try to remember to bring it in and post the pics a little later, so don't forget to stop back and get a glimpse of what you missed!

And as for the "few" orchids I picked up.... it was only six. Only....

Here is a link that might be useful: the dogs

• jel48
    16 years ago

Here are the pics.

Then the camera batteries died on me :-(

• jel48
    16 years ago

These are the orchids that I bought yesterday. Sorry the quality of some of the photos aren't too good. It was pretty dark in the room when I photographed them.

Paphiopedilum (Slipper Orchid) Somers Isles

I had to buy this next one... it is named after me... kind of :-)
    Paphiopedilum (Slipper Orchid)Joyce Hasegawa

Iwanagara Apple Blossum Fantastic

Paphiopedilum (Slipper Orchid) curtsii

Cymbidium King Arthur

Somehow I didn't get the name (or the tag) on this one. It has a rather sticky surface that small insects stick to. The Orchid then absorbs the insects.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Wow, those are some big photo files. Some of us are still on dial-up, but I had to see them, so while they were loading ....

I went out to get the mail, read the mail.
    Made my self a sandwich. Ate it too.
    Did a load of laundry.
    Baked cookies. Ate the cookies.
    Took a nap.
    Read War and Peace. Okay,okay: I skimmed it.
    Took another nap.
    Read the Bible: Old Testament.
    Made supper. Ate supper. Did the dishes.
    Read the Bible: New Testament.
    Learned Latin.
    Read (in Latin) St. Augustine's De Civitate Dei (City of God).
    Shoveled the walk. (It's been snowing off and on since 8am.)
    Read the Bhagavad gita.
    Went to India. Discussed the meaning of life with a Brahman.
    Ascended to nirvana. Not what I thought it would be.
    Besides, the pictures are done loading now. . .

Photos are very nice.

Not nirvana, but very nice.
    Thanks.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Sorry. I didn't meant to close this thread down. Sometimes my attempts at joviality fail.

I am the first to admit that I'm a quirky guy.

• jel48
    16 years ago

You didn't shut anything down Rick! Your update was very entertaining :-)

Honestly though, I hadn't thought the images were that big because I sized them down quite a bit from original and made them a size I thought would display well on any monitor. You did have a good point though, and I'm thinking that next time I want to post several in the same thread, I'll put a large file warning on it, and then maybe post a second thread with much smaller images.

• tsbccowboy
    16 years ago

Joyce,

You have some beautiful Orchids and sounds like you had a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it that day. Tessa and Lexie are both cuties!

When I post medium-sized photos from ImageEvent, they are about 125k. This may be an option. It is easy to do by selecting HTML FOR PAGES in ImageEvent. You can do Thumbnails easily there too.

John

Big Smile
    7/1/07

{{gwi:662753}}
    Big Smile
    7/1/07

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

It appears as though you both had a great time. How wonderful! I sure wish I lived closer, I would have loved to go.

A girlfriend and I went to the Perham gardening seminars a couple weeks ago and as I sat through the various programs I wondered if any of you were there. We had a wonderful time.

We don't have near the nurseries and wonderful seminars as all of you have there in MN. You all are very lucky. In fact we are coming out to the Perham area again the Wed. and Thur. during the last week in May and will tour through all the nurseries along highway 10 to Wadena taking the little road from Wadena to Fergus Falls and back to ND. ha ha. I can hardly wait.

I'm very glad you had a great time. Thank you for sharing your orchid photos. They are GORGEOUS!!!

Tj

• housewaif
    16 years ago

Dave, I saw you in Nirvana and I agree it wasn't what I expected either. I got thrown out. ;^)

Sponsored