Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

Winter Sowers- Sprouts are here!

Julie
18 years ago

As I went to work yesterday- I peeked at a few containers..... and there they were, tiny little sprouts of stocks!!

I do believe this is the very earliest- weather wise- that I have seen sprouts!

Do any other Winter Sowers have sprouts yet?

Comments (9)

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Well the starts on my table by the window include stock, delphs, catchfly (yay!), echinacea, globe thistle, paintbrush, a thalictrum as of this morning, columbine, mountain mint, epizote, veronica, all my tomatoes bar one pot, a couple hot peppers and the start of my sweet peppers, and the marigolds are getting some muscle! *GRIN* I'm pretty happy! I've used a mix made with this weird powder to keep the damping-off out of them - I have horrid luck with that stuff- and it's really working well. I did scatter some seeds outside before the last snowfall - it'll be interesting to see what comes of them. Talk about ideal wildflower planting conditions...

-Marie

• jel48
    18 years ago

Don't know... but you can bet I'll be making a trip to the winter sowed containers on Saturday to check it out!

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lynn came over today- and we saw more sprouts in my WS containers!
    It's time for me to pick up the pace and get the rest of my WS seeds out there! And maybe even starting on some of the hardier spring sowing.....

• jel48
    18 years ago

I planted ettuce, radish, and onion sets in the garden on April 3rd last year. It's still too wet this year though. Still nothing up in my WS containers -I didn't get too many out this year, but like Julie, I still have a few more to go. I've got 4 fresh gallon milk just accumulated at the moment and it would sure be silly to let them go to waste. Sounds like a good little project fot this afternoon, since it's chilly and raining off and on anyway (interfering with potential fun in the outdoor garden). I may even put in another flat or two of seeds in my back room.

• kristal
    18 years ago

As far as I know, just a couple hollyhocks. When it dries out, I'll check again.

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I saw my first ones this morning yellow Pimpernel. The wind was too cold to check more without my gloves on so I will go out again thie afternoon.

Pauline

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

I checked the containers on Saturday afternoon. So far I have -
    Malva Zebrina
    Lady Blue Bells
    FeverFew

I need to check daily now!!!!

The fun has started!!!

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Knautica and more are popping!

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Malvas, Hollyhocks, some grasses and more I can't quite read!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA