Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Community Garden Subscriptions

Posted by leaveswave (MN z4) (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 10:43

Have you ever bought one? It's a bit of a financial commitment as you have to go in for the whole growing season. I'm interested in the organic ones, but the prices seem a little high even for that consideration. I wonder about the quality of the selection as well; I like picking out my own at the grocery store, though sometimes the selection is disappointing. Tell us about your experiences, please! (TAI)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Community Garden Subscriptions

I've never actually done it partially because a full share is just too much for me-myself-I and partially because my schedule just does not assure me that I'll be home to use all those fabulous veggies. It's too much money to throw into the compost bin. If I knew I'd be home to cook, though, I'd find someone with whom I could split the share ...

Some Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms (another name for Community Gardens) will let you customize your order at least a little. If you absolutely will not eat, say, Brussells sprouts, some will leave them out of your order. Some will let you skip a week or two if you're on vacation (or simply inundated with vegetables). Check where they drop off -- sometimes they drop the food surprisingly far away from your home, and sometimes they'll drop it in a cooler at your door.

My compromise has been the St. Paul Farmer's Market, which requires that all products sold be grown/produced within 50 miles of the market. It's not all organic, but a bunch of it is, and you can buy as much or as little as you want and the prices generally are better than I can get from my co-op, though there is a definite seasonality to the Farmer's Market and, frequently, a wider choice of produce at the co-op.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here