Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

What's something about yourself that's gardening-related and...

leaveswave
18 years ago

...you haven't told us yet? This was one of the questions in a game I played at a recent Garden Party.

Comments (8)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I make garden sculptures.

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I have a terrible time trying to grow stuff from seed. I need plants!

Even with a light and a fan on them for 12 hours a day my tomato seedlings are leggy as all get out!

Linda

• jel48
    18 years ago

When I was a kid, my mom had somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3s of an acre of vegeatable garden.. When it was time to plant potatoes, my dad would take the little tractor and three bottom plow ahead of us, and Mom and my sisters and I would follow belong placing potato eyes in the furrow. Next time through he'd cover them up. We didn't plant them early and we didn't plant them on Good Friday... we planted them whenever Dad was caught up with the field work. We harvested them pretty much the same way. Bet nobody here knew that :-)

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Every Memorial weekend, which is roughly when my 80+ year old grandma's birthday is, my husband (and often son) and I head to Maple Lake in the morning and spend all day planting with my grandma. We fill all her Earth Boxes with starts I do for her, harvest strawberries, weed, plant begonias, and fill the rest of her gardens with flowers and herbs. That, and a pint jar of our home-processed silver maple syrup are her birthday gifts.

-Marie

• sixidahos
    18 years ago

I started gardening 3 years ago. We bought a home in Richfield that has a double lot. At the time we liked the house, but thought that the yard would be too big to mow. We basicly bought the house in spite of the large lot.

Within a short time I started to plant a few things in the window boxes, before I knew it I was on my knees in the yard throwing annuals into the ground. By the end of the summer I learned what perennials are and bought a few on clearance at a nursery. By the following spring I became addicted to gardening and have 3 major gardens with several smaller ones in various locations. Now our big back yard is the best thing that happened to us. I can't wait to fill it as each year goes by. Thank goodness we didn't buy any of the downtown condos that we originally looked at. I'd be lost without all that dirt under my nails.

Anthony

• kristal
    18 years ago

My mom is an avid gardener, and getting me to help when I was younger was like pulling teeth!! When dh and I first moved into our house, there was a huge clump of tiger lilies at the front steps, and we thought they were ugly, so we dug them up and threw them out. I just didn't like gardening. Now, I'd give anything to have them back, and I've overtaken the whole yard with my gardens in the past year.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    18 years ago

I do lots of garden photography and have my own website featuring my work.

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

Hi Minnesotasue,
    Is there any possibility that you would share some of your photos with us?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21