Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
invasives

Posted by woodsforchloe 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 11:12

I posted on another site then discovered this one. My problem is a small woods along the rum river in Anoka co. I was invaded by Garlic Mustard. At first I was just happy to see something wipe out the wood nettles, until I figured out what it was. I have been trying to confine the nettles to one small section as they are native. However in the rest of the area they were preventing me from seeing the "nice" natives. Another thing rampant is prickly ash. Again it is a native so I am leaving it alone in one section. I know I will always be fighting the nettles and garlic mustard as my neighbors have both and no not have time to control theirs, plus I get new soil and seeds during spring floods. I am looking for aggressive shade natives that will fill in cleared areas and then hold their own.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: invasives

Try sowing Impatiens capensis, 'jewel weed' - It can even crowd out buckthorn I am told...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some pictures of Jewel Weed

o

I second Julie!

-Marie

ps It's extremely lovely in mass plantings too!

o

I recently attended an invasive species seminar. Her is the reccomendation for Garlic Mustard: Foliar application of Accord XRT* @1/2-3/4 %. Add in 1/4% surfactant. Applications should be made during fall or early spring to minimize off target damafe to desirable vegetation. I think prickly ash is considered an invasive species. I'll dig out my notes and check.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here