Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurampls

Anyone else losing it because of the weather?

laurampls
16 years ago

The relentless cold is driving me berserk! I'm fretting about my plants (most of which are pretty well mulched, but still...). I can't go outside and prune. I've looked at every catalog and website a million times and I can't seem to make any decisions about new plants. I've started hating bright sunny days because that generally indicates it's below zero.

Anyone else feel like commiserating?

Laura

Comments (8)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Oh Yeah! It's to early to start most of my plants, the few things I have started I'm checking 2 or 3 times a day. I too have looked at catalogs and websites and am also having trouble making decisions. I've done some winter sowing, cleaned my house from top to bottom and am just generally going nuts.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I'm a new poster in this forum and it is hard to get excited about gardening when it is so cold out there. I am sick of listening to the weather guys and gals on TV. If I hear "it is much colder than the average temp for today" I am going to scream.

I want to see pretty plants blooming and leaves on trees. I thought buying morning glory seeds would make me happy but it feels like they will never get planted.

Thanks, I feel better (but not warmer.)

• primgal36
    16 years ago

Oh yeah... I'm OVER this lingering extreme cold. It gets to you after awhile, I'm tired of being cooped inside, but we all know how it is here, Spring will come, unless it just decides to jump right into the hot weather, we never know.
    I'm tired of never being able to get warm, if we didn't have sun, I'd totally lose it.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Oh, I feel better today. Girl Scout cookies came last night. I plan on looking through gardening magazines and books while eating cookies today. (And not watching Sven tell me that we are 20 degrees below the normal temp.)

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

I agree with EVERYTHING everybody has said in this posting...except my house needs cleaning still...Helen.

• dirtbert
    16 years ago

I can soooooo feel your pain ;)
    No with daylight saving change we can look out the window at the snow even later in the day...WAHOOO NOT! LOL

I did have a real wahooo this morning when the temp as 5 degrees and my greenhouse maintained a temp of 28 degrees overnight (no heater). Yeeha the thermal mass has thawed!

I think next weekend I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start a heater out there. I've been going so bezerk I started too many seeds and now my little seedlings won't all fit under my growing lights...wooops!

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    16 years ago

What ya mean it's cold? It's downright hot down here in Plametto Fl. I Have some seeds started in the fridge down here ready for pots when I get home this weekend.
    I finally found out what I wanted to be in life- A Snowbird!!!

• kristin_flower
    16 years ago

I wish I could be a snowbird! What do other MN gardeners do with all their gardening "energy" over the long long winter?

I grew Coleus

I build, painted and installed window boxes for my house and shed

Grew houseplants

and tried my luck at winter sowing

Sponsored