Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else losing it because of the weather?

Posted by laurampls 4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 11:13

The relentless cold is driving me berserk! I'm fretting about my plants (most of which are pretty well mulched, but still...). I can't go outside and prune. I've looked at every catalog and website a million times and I can't seem to make any decisions about new plants. I've started hating bright sunny days because that generally indicates it's below zero.

Anyone else feel like commiserating?

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else losing it because of the weather?

Oh Yeah! It's to early to start most of my plants, the few things I have started I'm checking 2 or 3 times a day. I too have looked at catalogs and websites and am also having trouble making decisions. I've done some winter sowing, cleaned my house from top to bottom and am just generally going nuts.

o

I'm a new poster in this forum and it is hard to get excited about gardening when it is so cold out there. I am sick of listening to the weather guys and gals on TV. If I hear "it is much colder than the average temp for today" I am going to scream.

I want to see pretty plants blooming and leaves on trees. I thought buying morning glory seeds would make me happy but it feels like they will never get planted.

Thanks, I feel better (but not warmer.)

o

Oh yeah... I'm OVER this lingering extreme cold. It gets to you after awhile, I'm tired of being cooped inside, but we all know how it is here, Spring will come, unless it just decides to jump right into the hot weather, we never know.
I'm tired of never being able to get warm, if we didn't have sun, I'd totally lose it.

o

Oh, I feel better today. Girl Scout cookies came last night. I plan on looking through gardening magazines and books while eating cookies today. (And not watching Sven tell me that we are 20 degrees below the normal temp.)

o

I agree with EVERYTHING everybody has said in this posting...except my house needs cleaning still...Helen.

o

I can soooooo feel your pain ;)
No with daylight saving change we can look out the window at the snow even later in the day...WAHOOO NOT! LOL

I did have a real wahooo this morning when the temp as 5 degrees and my greenhouse maintained a temp of 28 degrees overnight (no heater). Yeeha the thermal mass has thawed!

I think next weekend I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start a heater out there. I've been going so bezerk I started too many seeds and now my little seedlings won't all fit under my growing lights...wooops!

o

What ya mean it's cold? It's downright hot down here in Plametto Fl. I Have some seeds started in the fridge down here ready for pots when I get home this weekend.
I finally found out what I wanted to be in life- A Snowbird!!!

o

I wish I could be a snowbird! What do other MN gardeners do with all their gardening "energy" over the long long winter?

I grew Coleus
Photobucket

I build, painted and installed window boxes for my house and shed
Photobucket
Photobucket

Grew houseplants
Photobucket

and tried my luck at winter sowing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here