Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Pink / Spigelia Marilandica

Posted by doucanoe MN 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 11:32

I am lusting over this plant ever since I saw it in a catalog! Most informational sites state hardy to zone 5, perhaps 4, and in woodland setting.

I am willing to push the zone just to give it a try.

Problem is I have only found two mailorder nurseries that carry it and they both have terrible ratings on Garden Watchdog. Anyone familiar with this plant and/or know where I might get some?

Thanks!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Pink / Spigelia Marilandica

Linda - I was just searching for this plant and your thread is the only one that comes up in the MN forum.

Did you ever get one? If so, where? . . . and how is it doing?

- Adam

o

I bought one three years ago from Easyliving Wildflowers at
easywildflowers.com.
So far it manages to pop up in June each year out here in the frozen waste lands. It is in exposed location and I do nothing to protect it. But, after the -26f this January, I'll have to wait a bit more to see if it is still there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Wildflowers

o

I bought one from Munchkin Nursery a couple of years ago. It didn't return, but I think it was my fault, not the nursery's. I gave it a moist, rich soil in the shade, however.

o

Does anyone have seeds of Marilandica spigelia that came from the wild, or from multiple seedlings? The problem with mail order nursery material is that often, this plant is propagated by root-division; no genetic diversity; all clonal.

Thank you,
Steve

o

I traded for one four years ago. It grew slowly but last year had nine flowering stems and was really lovely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here