Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant onions and potatoes?

Posted by gamebird MN, 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 11:33

The young fellow at Dege's Nursery told me the traditional local date was after Good Friday. That's next week. Seems awful early. What do you think?

On another issue, how exactly do you spread compost to "feed" tulips and hosta? Do I just scatter an inch deep layer on top of where they're coming up (or rather, around them, since my tulips are already 3-4 inches tall)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant onions and potatoes?

I usually try to shoot for mid to late April for my onion plants ( between the 18th and 25th) and late April for my potatoes. Even with that I had frost nip my potato plants. They came back just fine. Onions will take temps down to the twenties. Watch your soil conditions, you don't want to be planting in cold muck. Other people will tell you they plant their potatoes on Good Friday, but having done that a time or two to satisfy my DH we found that they didn't sprout any earlier than some later planted ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here