Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Winter Sow Lables Lost

Posted by sureturtle z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 13:36

Hi, Happy spring!
Yesterday I went outside to check on my pots of winter sowed seeds. To my horror, all the seed names I wrote with a permenant marker on the sides the milk jugs were gone! Now I am left with 4 jugs of uncertain identities. None of them is sprouting, yet.

What is the best thing I can do now?

I seeded one jug with pink foxglove, one with yellow foxglove, one with Dwarf Shasta Daisy, and one with Veronica Royal Blue. If I could identify the true leaves of each plant after they emerge, maybe I still could know which is which. ButI am not sure of the looks of these true leaves.

How do you label your winter sowing? Any advice on identifying the current lost labels is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Winter Sow Lables Lost

Two words: Grease Pencil

Nothing else stays on the containers or tape for me, so I hunted these down at an office supply store. As for your unlabeled jugs, surprises are fun!!

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 22:53

There is a description of foxglove here, and a picture of some leaves http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/foxglo30.html - it mentions "In the first year a rosette of leaves, but no stem", which is exactly what I remember from the year I raised foxglove seedlings.

Here's a page that shows a pretty good picture of veronica leaves http://www.paghat.com/speedwellroyal.html

And here's a site that has a pretty good image showing shast daisy leaves http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/159058

If anyone can find better pics, please add them for sureturtle. I searched for a while and these were about the best I could find.

o

Thank you both, Kristal and jel48. Thanks for searching the pictures of the plants' foliage. That is very kind of you.

I'll keep fingers crossed and hope for the best.

o

I mark mine with the markers I will be using when I plant them. Either window blinds cut and marked with a paint pen or this year I am trying out "Impress-O-Tags" that I ordered from Prairie Moon Nursery. They are metal tags that you use a pen or pencil to press the name into them.

o

I use pencil on cut up mini blinds in the containers.
You may have to wipe off the dirt to read them- but I have some markers over 3-4 years old that I can still read!
I tried paint pens- but they will chip away over time.
Cheap and easy!
Check out "The Seed Site" for great images of pods, seeds, and sprouts! You may have to wait to figure out which Foxglove are which till they bloom- but if you only know them by their bloom color- you may never be able to identify them fully. I have about 3 VERY different "Yellow" foxglove- that I still worry myself over just what they truly are.... Until I just stop- and enjoy their simply being there-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here