Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzygardener

Willow hedge

jazzygardener
17 years ago

I'd like to plant a willow hedge this summer as I need a fast growing hedge. Does anyone know where I can get willow? I live in the White Bear Lake area. I've also heard that I could just cut willow branches and they would root. Does anyone have any that they would be willing to part with?

Comments (8)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Blue artic willow makes a good fast hedge, and fairly easy to obtain at local nurseries too. Be careful about which willows you get, most of the available ones will be tree-like.

Sticking fat sticks in the ground does work. I have enough for you of Salix chaenomeloides (Giant Pussywillow), a small tree size. And probably enough of Salix x 'Rubykins', that I think would make a great hedge, almost a good as Blue Artic willow. I have found that the best time to stick in the ground is when the catkins are large. Pull off the furry things, and stick the bare 8-10" (and at least a half inch diameter) stick in the ground, leaving only a half inch or so above ground.

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

leftwoods Pussy willows grow very well. I have some in water getting roots and leaves. I didn't take the catkins off though.

• avidaloca
    17 years ago

We planted nikki willows. They are just awesome. Fast growing and the first leaves that come out are pink so it looks like it is blooming, turn verigated green & white later in the summer.
    They are beautiful and easy.

donna

• jazzygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Where can I get the Nikki willows or blue arctic?

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I suspect Donna is talking about Hakuro Nishiki willow. Fits her description. Actually, these would be even easier to find than the blue artic willow at your local nursery, and even some big box stores. But both should be available. Myself, I have no preference between the too. It's a subjective decision, in my opinion, as both are equally easy to grow.

• john_w
    17 years ago

Leftwood is right, Arctic willow is downright arboreal. Mine was supposed to be dwarf but it's easily a twenty footer. Each spring I must cut it down to the ground to keep it in bounds. By September it's ten foot tall.

I bought one plant at a local nursery (they are easy to find anywhere). I'll have plenty of free whips this month when I hack mine down, again. All you need do is fill a bucket of water, stick them in it for a few weeks until they root, and then stick them in the ground.

• jazzygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Leftwood, please contact me as I'm interested in getting some of your willow cuttings to make a hedge.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Just a small addition-
    Willow are easy to root- in water or in the ground- although- if you start them in water- they can be very touchy about transplanting into soil....
    I would suggest dedicating a row in a bed where you will see them and remember to water it VERY frequently this spring, and regularly during the summer- to plant the cuttings into- and then transplant them to the outer areas where you want the hedge to be next spring. You will have to water them well for a bit next year as well- but they should be fine from there on.
    I have tried several cuttings of willow many ways, and thought all was well several times- until they did not make it through the winter. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that I have learned my lessons......

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio