Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
popular unusual conifers to plant

Posted by nordbyc zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 14:31

Thinking of adding to my conifer collection. I'm gonna
buy a couple dozen of each, plant a few, pot the rest, and eventually try to give or sell the rest. Does anybody have a suggestion of kinds that most people don't have but are easy to keep in a pot for a year or two till the others establish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: popular unusual conifers to plant

OOhhh good question!!!!
I bet Leftwood/Rick will have a few to reccomend-
I wonder if the MN Conifer Society has a web site to look and learn from....
Thanks for the post!
Julie

o
RE: popular unusual conifers to plant

Well, popular unusual is a bit of an oxymoron, but we know what you mean. No clue here if you are looking for dwarf or regular size trees, but here are a few of the more common suggestions:

Arborvitae(Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot Spire,' 'Rheingold,' 'Sunkist,' 'Yellow Ribbon,' 'Tiny Tim,' 'Hetz Midget,' 'Spiralis')
Threadleaf False Cypress(Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Nana,' 'Filifera Aurea,' 'Filifera Aurea Nana,' 'Lemon Thread,' 'Vintage Gold,' 'Sungold')
Norway Spruce (Picea abies 'Nidiformis,' 'Parsonii,' 'Mucronata,' 'Elegans,' 'Little Gem,' 'Acrocona,' 'Pendula')
Colorado Spruce (Picea pungens 'Globosa,' 'Pendula')
Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis 'Pendula,' 'Jeddeloh,' 'Hussii,' 'Cortorta,' 'Nana Gracilis,' 'Jervis')
White Pine (Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag,' 'Nana,' 'Pendula,' 'Wintergold')

No Minnesota Confer Society, just the national:
conifersociety.org I am a member, and we had the regional meeting in Minneapolis last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here