Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another surprise delivery

Posted by hoghaven_duluthmn (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 14:45

I received my nursery order from Jung's Seed today--too bad it is about 1-1/2 months early! I called them and they said they had a computer glitch that was triggering nursery orders to be sent whenever begonia bulbs were sent. I asked what was I supposed to do with the plants that arrived--we still have ice and snow banks on the ground with more snow coming?

They said to do whatever, they will be sending me a replacement order in mid-May and that I should not return the plant material.

So, I would hate to waste the plants. There are blueberry, raspberry and rose bushes. I thought I would try and pot them up. Any ideas about increasing the chances of survival?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another surprise delivery

If they are dormant I would also pot them up and keep them in an unheated garage. If they have green growth I would pot them and keep them in a cool sunny part of my house or under lights.

I overwinter dormant plants in my unheated garage every winter.

o
RE: Another surprise delivery

mnwgal, thanks for your ideas. All of the plants were starting to bud. I went to Menards and got a dozen 12-inch plastic pots that were on sale. Have blueberry, raspberry, and roses potted up and at every window. It is so gloomy in Duluth in the spring, I hope they get enough sun light. The weather is going to be in the teens at night for who knows how long, and so outside does not seem to be an option. I hope they make it. I can always use more berries and roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here