Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Sale Advise

Posted by gardengal101 MN 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 16:32

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about having a garden sale at my house this spring and I am wondering if anyone has any advise for me. I will be selling a variety of hostas and "common" perennials. What are some things to do or not do when having a plant sale.

Thanks,
gardengal101

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Sale Advise

Sorry, advice not advise... duh!!

o

Used to be Spike would come along and delete these messages... and do other things,,,

But if you are just asking for advice, and not posting a date - which would be advertising (which is not allowed)- this thread may stick around for a bit of information to be shared.

I think the first bit of advice I could give- is it really is a lot of work! Find help where ever you can- hauling and digging dirt, potting up plants and divisions- setting up and tearing down- but most importantly, helping your customers.

Pot up your plants well before the sale- so that the plants look good and healthy and are good and healthy- and are over the "transplant shock". You want to be proud of your product, and know you are selling healthy viable plants.

Know what you are selling- and share that information. Will it do well in sun or shade? Dry or moist conditions? Clay soils? Is it a thug? On the invasive list? Does it need frequent feedings?

Pictures of what it will look like at maturity tell more than you ever could....

Know that some folks will continue to stop by to see what else you may have for sale- all summer long- even if you only plan to have the sale for 1 weekend. They may even leave cash near your door for the plants they helped themselves to while you were away... So, don't leave your newly purchased plants you were planning to put into your garden in an easily visible place till you get around to planting them! Yes- truly!

Enjoy the whole process- from planning and growing- to transplanting and selling, teaching and learning.

o

Make sure each plant is well marked or grouped. I hate it when I have to bother the seller or wait to ask what a particular plant is. One sale I went to had small playing card size plant ifo sheets for each plant giving pertinent information about that plant. You got to keep that sheet when you bought the plant.

Good luck with your sale. You might put up a little sign near your cash table with info to this site. Where do you plan to advertise?

o

Thank you SO much for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

I didn't even think about people stopping by to see if I had sale items after the sale... like all summer long!! I will have to be careful where I place my newly purchased plants.

I was thinking I would post signs around my neighborhood and possibly advertise on craigslist.com... I've seen other plant sales listed on there.

o

I have my plant sale during the FRi/Sat of the Cities annual Lions garage sale. Tons of people. I start potting up my plants soon as there popping up. The sooner you pot them up the better they will look when you sell. Use good potting soil so they don't get much transplant shock, plus it saves your back moving so many pots all around. I use curtain rods cut into plant size labels with all there info and also in front of the rows I use a large size color photos. Every year the same people come and they bring there friends. When you sell healthy plants way cheaper then you can buy people will be there. I try and dig differnt stuff up every year so people have new things to buy. They will tell you what they have had bought in the past. I even will dig on sale day if they want something different depending on what it is. Its alot of work but other than trading parties I hate to throw away extra plants.

o

Yup, be sure too label and price them, clearly. I think tammymn meant to say old venitician blinds instead of curtain rods......sorry if I'm mistaken !I cut my blinds into about 6 inches in length and cut a point on one end so I can stick it in each pot. I try to be sure to give the variety name too, use good sized pictures from catalogs, or make copies on your printer. If you can, use tables to set things on so folks won't need to bend over. That's good for the waistline but not the back ! Good Luck, have fun and make money !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here