Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get top soil?

Posted by urbanmngarden Minnesota (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 16:36

I had an old decrepit garage removed from my yard this past fall. We are hoping to turn that space into garden in our backyard. Can anyone suggest a source for top soil? We need enough to cover the area that was the former home of our one car garage. We live in St. Paul.

I really appreciate the help because we have no idea where to get it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get top soil?

Did you want top soil or did you want good garden soil? All the soil in my garden beds is "1-1-1" from Leitners: it's 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 compost. I have been very, very happy with it. They will deliver or you can pick it up. Soryy, I don't remember what it costs, but I am a cheapskate and I don't remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

Remember that new soil will collapse as it settles, so mound it up much more than looks right at first. Also, it doesn't need to be 24" deep like mine is, but the deeper the better, and be sure to mix it well with the probably barren compacted soil underneath.

o

I've had good luck getting bulk stuff from Kern Landscaping (kernlandscaping.com) in St. Paul. There's a discount if you're a member of MSHS. (That's also true at Leitners).

o

Yes, Kern is good, too. Also, you can get all the free compost you want at the Ramsey County compost sites if you want to just improve the soil you have (I had no soil under my lawn where I wanted garden beds, just rubble and debris from when our house was built!)

o

I had a load of bulk topsoil delivered recently - can only recommend these guys, great service and pretty good prices - check out http://www.kdcorecycling.com
This is no advertising, just a recommendation. hope it helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here