Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selkie_b

GW Spring Plant Swap?

selkie_b
18 years ago

It's the first day of Spring... do YOU know where the next GW Spring Plant Swap will be held? Or when?

I don't... and I seem to have these little starts....

-Marie

Comments (35)

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Seems I remember volunteering my place for swap. That would be another 9 miles west of the Arboretum. The big Rock Garden Society plant sale in Roseville (75% non-rock garden plants) is June 3. If we have it the week after, you would have a pick of the leftovers too, but you'd have to pay half price for them. Any Sunday in May is fine, Saturdays too, except the garden tour hasn't been sized up yet, so I can't say for sure.

But it doesn't have to be at my house if we so choose.

Rick

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Who-all's interested? Maybe we can find a centralish location. Looks like we have St Paul, Chanhassen, (did I get those right?) and Plymouth so far.

• jel48
    18 years ago

I'm interested and will be there unless there's a conflict with something already scheduled. My first choice would be Rick's place. I'd love to see his garden.

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I am interested and we can have it here if it is more central. Although I too would like to see Ricks garden. I am in South Minneapolis by lake Nokomis, just off Cedar Ave and about 5 min. North of the Crosstown Hyw 62. (don't worry we can't hear the crosstown).

Pauline

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rick's garden is FANTASTIC and he has room. If he's truly willing (are you, Lefty?) I think that'd be a worthy spot. Yes, it's a bit out of the way - but let me tell ya - it's SO worth it!

-Marie

• Julie
    18 years ago

Yes, YES- Rick's is THE destination this spring!!
    Thank you soooo much for volunteering to host the spring GW Swap! You are such a sweet guy to do so! It's not just any one who would welcome so many over to their home and gardens!
    It just doesn't seem to work out to have this kind of swap just anywhere. GW swaps seem to be intimate, friendly, full of comaraderie and conversation and they take a while to ripen and bear fruit!
    This will be fun! We could go to the Arboretum on our way home too if we so choose! I would be interested in going there again. I hate to admit it, but the last time I was there was when I was married in 83!
    If the date for this is still floating- I would love to go - but I do have some restrictions already... The weekend before memorial day I will be busy out in the yard and will not be able to break away- ya-all come on over and visit if you like- And the weekend after Memorial day I will be hosting a wedding shower....
    I vote to hold it after the rock garden show..... But that's just me! I vote for June 10! My wintersown babies will be ready to share then!
    I hope to see you there-
    Julie

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I will do my best to be there, wherever we decide to have it. Sundays are best for me, I work Saturdays.

Linda

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

It sounds like Rick's garden is the place to be. Saturday and Sunday work for me as long as I can be back in Minneapolis by 4:00 on Sunday, I work at 5:00.
    Right now the only weekends that are bad for me are Memorial Day weekend and June 17th ( I want to go to the Prairie Moon Tour on that day).

Pauline

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

I wouldn't mind participating this year and I am willing to drive to wherever it winds up being. Hopefully I will have a few things to share...

Laura.

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I agree, Rick's place sounds like the place to go for the MN GW Spring Plant Swap! I like the thought of the swap being held in June. It will give our plants a bit more time to mature. June 10th sounds like a good date/time to have the swap too! I also like the idea of the possibility of purchasing left overs for 1/2 price from the "Rock Garden Society plant sale". I have always enjoyed leftovers.

Thanks Rick for volunteering your place.

Sandy

• jel48
    18 years ago

Since we seem to be narrowing this down to June, I checked my June schedule too.... we have campspots reserved for the weekend of the 3rd, vacation the weekend of the 17th and 24th, so the weekend of the 10th/11th looks great for me too.

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

I cast another vote for lefty.
    I also think that June (after the rock garden society sale) might be a good idea. For me it comes after some of the busiest time (ie Mother's day) at work, and will allow more time for stuff to mature and get stuff potted up.
    Also, for me (not strictly necessary tho)... I generally dont have to work sundays. The other thing is that it gives any new plants we acquire more time to "make themselves at home "in our gardens.

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Checked my calender and added it so NOTHING gets in the way - June 10th is good here :)

-Marie

• cailleachmn
    18 years ago

I'll try and add the 10th/11th to my list of days off, and finally join you guys! This is so exciting!

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I penciled the 10th/11th in on calendar.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

June 10/11 is sounding best for me. If there are no votes for Sunday, lets here them. Matters not to me. Just want to have the best availability for all. I am thinking maybe 11 am.

Rick

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I vote for Sunday the 11th. May not get there at 11, it's a good 2+ hour drive for me. Could we maybe look at noon instead?
    Either way I will try to make it!

Linda

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

Please add me to the list!

Lynn

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I guess my vote would be for Saturday. If it is Sunday I'd vote for 11:00 (sorry Linda) only because I work latter that day.

Pauline

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I lean towards Saturday (10th), for then it gives me/and some of you too, the rest of the weekend to transplant our new found plants into their new garden/home. However, I should be able to do either the 10th or 11th. I'm okay with any start time.

Sandy

• tammymn
    18 years ago

Either June 10 or 11th works for me. Thats nice of Rick to host the swap. Tammy

• mantorvillain
    18 years ago

I've forgotten the past couple of years and gotten hooked into work but am determined to do this! Its on my calendar now.

• mnzinnia
    18 years ago

I plan to come and either the 10/11 of june is fine.

• may8
    18 years ago

Wow, I did not know that there are so many activities in this forum in the winter! Yes, I plan to make it there too. It was a lot of fun to meet Rick, Julie and so many nice people last fall. I look forward to seeing all of YOU again!
    May

• selkie_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It'll be great to see you again too, May!

-Marie

• rosebacopa2
    18 years ago

I vote for SUnday the 11th, especially if it is around 1:00. I work saturdays. Sounds like alot of fun!...
    Lynn

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Either day works for me. Is there anything in particular from my list anyone's interested in? And, are gardening-related, non plant items okay?

My trade list

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Hi all,

The (3rd?) annual GW Swap is on Sunday, June 11, 12 pm, at my house. For more information, see my posting on the Exchange portion of this forum.

For the newer GW members, the Exchange portion is found at the MN Gardening Forum page, just above the thread listings and to the right of the "On-topic Discussions" heading (click on "Exchanges").

Rick

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

more than the third swap, Rick....Im trying to think back...the first one was in St. Cloud...headed up by Mark in MN. The second one was at the Arboretum.....One at Mn_Grandmas in Leseur, .....hmmmm Marie had one right?....last one at Julies....?

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Rick the date and time are on my calendar. I hope to talk John into joining me he enjoyed the seed swap.

leaveswave, I am impressed you have your list ready to go.

Pauline

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Pauline, the list just stays there and gets updated periodically. I can't guarantee I'll have volunteers or big-enough-to-be-divided plants, but it's likely for most of them.

• cailleachmn
    18 years ago

Leaveswave-

I'd be totally interested in the clematis. The swap is on my schedule for a day off. Whee, this is going to be fun!

• karenn3
    18 years ago

I'm also planning to be there. Will bring some plants to swap and I'll bake something, too. Karen

• tammymn
    18 years ago

I am free the weekend Of June 10th. I am East of Saint Paul but don't mind driving to where ever. Tammy

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Tammy, I noticed you posted here, you need to go over to the exchange section and post there to be included in the swap. Go to the top of the page for MN gardening you will see exchange on the right hand side of the page. Click on that and go down to the spring exchange and post there.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor