Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamterrie

What's Up

adamterrie
16 years ago

About this time last year (on March 15, 2007) Julie submitted a posting "I saw . . ." indicating that she saw her first flower blooming (a crocus). Well, I knew that the first part of March of last year was much warmer than this year, but I figured that we have had a couple of warmer days, including today. So, I took a walk through my squishy yard just now to take a look around (while probably causing more damage to my lawn by walking through the mud than anything else).

Anyways, despite the fact that much of my yard is still covered in a combination of snow and settled pools of melted water, to my delight I did notice the following:

1. a few tulips just starting to poke through the mud;

2. various sedums are starting to pop up; and

3. a couple fern peonies deciding it was time to emerge into the light.

IT IS TIME - to forget about all other things in life and once again enter the world of gardening.

- Adam

Comments (11)

• dirtbert
    16 years ago

I found some green along the edge of a huge snowbank in front of my house. It was filled with sprouted viola and a couple of dwarf iris that shot up (2-3 inches) already.
    I'll definitely be heading out this weekend to look for other suprises (assuming the snow finally melts).

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I want to go out to look. I have my right foot in a cast/boot and am walking on crutches. I didn't even do any winter sowing this year.

I fell on my basement stairs broke three bones in my right foot and managed to tear every ligament in my ankle and foot.
    I hope to get this thing off by the time gardening really starts, it is hard to tell if I will or not. It gives me lots of time to plan though.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Oooooo, I feel for you. I spent last April, May and June in one of those things! Had to have friends do most of my spring gardening but nothing's worse for it! Except I have spring fever really bad this year!

Anyway, I've got a left in case you want a pair :)

• adamterrie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Uhmmmmmm . . . I can't seem to locate those tulips, sedums and peonies that I saw earlier in the week. They are covered in 6 to 7 inches of snow. I guess gardening will have to wait a little while longer.

- Adam

• kristin_flower
    16 years ago

Back into hibernation for me. Oh well, at least I got to actually see my yard/garden again for a couple days.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

More snow...to hell with it, I know it won't help, but I'm gonna cry...Helen.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

No thanks one cast is enough.

Helen, look on the bright side, at least you aren't the poor bunny looking for a place to hide his eggs. They would really show up in the snow.

Pauline

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    16 years ago

We had a snowdrop blooming on the 1st day of spring. Probably open still but under the snow. Also a baby 'Arnold's Promise' witchhazel was flowering, but it's only about 6" tall.

Primrose and corydalis look fresh. A few daffodils and crocuses are poking up here and there.

Over all I think the snows of December have served us well - plants seem in good shape.

Ted

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

Nothing up yet, but my yard is slow to lose the snow cover.

I have seen the chipmunks out and about lately. They're so cute.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Well, the robins have been back for about a week and a half or maybe it's two. Can't really remember an Easter quite as chilly as this one. At least the sun was strong enough to melt off the inch we got over night, now if we can just get rid of the 8 inches from Fri. And if the ground would thaw, maybe I could see signs of life in my yard.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Had 12 people over for Easter. Everyone that wanted, went home with Pussywillows (Salix chaenomeloides).

Sponsored