Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnesotasue_z4

Planting a Memory for Kirby.

MinnesotaSue_z4
18 years ago

Ever year I have one strange container gardener that means zilch to the average stroller/walker on sidewalks. I have done a laundry basket with a washboard and plants spilling all over the wicker and clamoring up the washboard sides. It was done in honor of one of my favorite neighbors who hung her clothes out, rain or shine, it was known as 'Ruth's Garden'. I did a red, white and blue 3 container theme complete with miniature US flags the year after the Twin Towers fell. And so it has gone through the years.

I have decided this year I am going to do a container in memory of "Kirby Puckett". So, what should I use as a container? I am definitely going to use the Twins colors red, white and blue, I need an old glove, a ball and a bat or should I use other props?

Was the Puck a petunia man? What plant material would fit this man's legend, his warmth and his award winning smile?

I am on a mission with this one. And a memory floods back to my sons attending a Twins game, coming home with miniature bats with Kirby's name burned into the wood. Asking my youngest son, who was about 7 at the time, who's name was on his bat he bellowed out in his best announcer's voice and said 'Herby Buckett!'....somehow, in his child's mind he confused Kent Hrbek and Kirby Puckett! From then on, Kirby was always Herby Buckett at our house. I will miss this icon of the game of summer.

Comments (3)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

It would be great if you could find a blue plastic container that looked like an upside down batting helmet.

• Julie
    18 years ago

What a great story about your sons- I think you will have to plant this in a bucket- and toss in a vw bug- Herby the LOVE bug that is-
    I am not big on sports- but Kirby loved the children and family and promoted wellness- in it's many facets. Maybe herbal lore plants are what this container needs- maybe plants of a short and stocky habit with the ability to grow and flourish amlost any where like sedum acre- There is an eggplant that is of small stature and produces white(ish) round(ish) baseball looking fruit- (I clipped this from the web) "White eggplant, is somewhat larger than its egg-sized ancestor. Specialty markets may carry the softball-size Easter egg and the smaller White egg."
    I hope to hear what you have decided to do with this project- and maybe even see a picture posted....
    What a nice idea to produce a memorial container-
    Thank you for sharing your tradition-
    Julie

• kristal
    18 years ago

I have one of those bats, and no, it's not for sale. I saved it from my neighbor's trash on moving day. He was not a Kirby fan and I was excited as could be to have any beat up old memory of him.

Amyways, it was ideas you were looking for. I read that he was an avid bass fisherman, so you could go with a fishing theme.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz