Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garystpaul_zone_4

Greenhouse owners, recommendations?

garystpaul
12 years ago

Hi, all. I'm looking around for a greenhouse--something nicer, more permanent than hoop tunnels/houses. I've seen examples by Rion, Juliana, Cross Country, BC Greenhouses, and others. I'd love to hear from any who have experience with growing in greenhouses in this area (central Minnesota). Many thanks. Gary

Comments (6)

• soilent_green
    12 years ago

As much as I would like to have a greenhouse, I don't have one because I am not willing to pay the fuel costs involved for heating a greenhouse in Minnesota. We also have such crazy winds at times out here on the prairie that I just don't think it would hold up well structurally without a lot of maintenance and upkeep - potential extra time and money I am not willing to invest in.

That being said, Growers Supply out of Dyersville Iowa has an excellent selection of greenhouses, greenhouse accessories, and gardening supplies. They have a hard-copy catalog that is wonderful to look at and reference if you request to get on their mailing list. They also have a nice website at the following address:

http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/home

I don't know how their prices compare to other companies, but I found prices to be acceptable and have ordered things from them. I have been most satisfied with the service and quality of merchandise. I am not affiliated with them in any way, so this is a testimony, not a promotional. LOL

Good luck in your search. If you purchase one, maybe post back what greenhouse brand/model/unit/size you decided to go with - this could be of help to your fellow Minnesotans on GW (like me).

-Tom

What I use in lieu of a greenhouse:

Here is a link that might be useful: Growers Supply Company

• garystpaul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your taking the time; very helpful.

That's one heck of a cold frame you built (is that a hinge on the right in pic #2?) Very nicely done.

My head is spinning with ideas about greenhouses and season extenders. I'll definitely post back when the thing is ordered and--with the help of my buddies--set up.

My intention is to use it from late February through early November or something like that. I realize having a structure like this brings with it some new challenges, but I actually look forward to them.

Gary

• soilent_green
    12 years ago

One thing that has always bothered me about greenhouses is all the space that is needed/wasted simply for human access to the plants. Be sure to take that into consideration when deciding what size greenhouse to purchase - one obviously cannot just figure the amount of plants by flat or pot size that can be grown per the square feet of the greenhouse. Also take into consideration whether space is needed for a potting bench and supplies. Something else to consider is whether the greenhouse has the structural integrity for having hanging plants - a good way to maximize growing space. Lastly, I suspect that once you have a greenhouse you will really have fun with it and will end up wanting to grow more than you expected to - it would be nice to have some extra space in the greenhouse in which to expand your hobby.

Going OT, but yes the grow box windows are hinged on the low side (two windows per box). This is to keep southern winds from lifting the windows and blowing them back. It is also a convenience issue for loading/unloading because the doors to my growing room are right behind the boxes.

The boxes are disassembled and put in storage when not in use. Takes an hour to assemble or disassemble each box. Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone is curious and wants something to look at I have a photo series of assembly that can be accessed here.

Pics are from 2011. I set up one box two weeks ago and have been using it almost daily. The second one will be set up when I start up-potting my seedlings.

• garystpaul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been fun just looking around at the various options. I'm on the verge of ordering a Sunshine Mt. Hood (6' x 12') or Mt. Rainier (8' x 12'). These are of redwood construction and look pretty classy. If interested, check out greenhouses.com. Your pics helped me imagine growing all those things in such a structure. So thanks for that.

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

Hi Gary. Nice to find your post as I was just looking at the Rion site. I'm hoping to add a 'lean-to' type greenhouse against my garage converting that garage door into a sliding door access. That has to wait til I get that half of the garage insulated and drywalled for my workshop which will be my retirement treat for myself next year...........thinkin long term here.
    Let us know what you got and how it's working out.
    Will

• garystpaul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Will. I ordered the Sunshine Mt. Hood 6x12' freestanding. I liked a lot of things about it, and it's the only one I found in the narrower 6' size. Sunshine also makes a lean-to, as do several other companies. I think in the end there are trade-offs no matter which one you get. I already have a south-facing attached greenhouse, built years ago by Four Seasons, that accommodates big (almost tree-size) plants. The new one will be for seed starting, propagating and growing earlier and later in the season. I hope to get it next week; am working on running the electrical service and building a good foundation right now.