Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found ....

Posted by julie_mn z4 MN Henn (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 19:57

A huge selection of early plants!! On sale at Costco now!

Hosta (Sorry Dave, no 'Leather Sheen'), Astilbe, Calla, Canna, Lilies, Glads, Day Lilies, Clematis and much much more!!

They sell them bare root, in bags that you will need to either plant early indoors- or keep chilled, (being careful not to let them dry out) till later- But they do have a good selection at reasonable prices-

The bags cost about $11- and you get a reasonable amount- usually 4 hosta to a bag- 7 Astilbe- 10-20 (I think) Caladium, 10 Lilies- (I got the species selection of 4 rubrem, 4 white somethings and 2 'Black Beauties'!! A buck a piece!!) I think I saw 50 -70 Glads to a bag (Sorry Marie, no 'White Goddess").....

Last year I bought some Heuchera and Echinecea that did not do well at all- and had I saved my receipt- I could have taken what I could find of them back for a total refund- They give a 1 year warranty- But all the others fared very well.

Who knew you could buy hosta bare root- and enjoy then a little the first year- and much more come year 2 and 3!! I do look forward to this every year- and usually get a few things to try that I have not bought elsewhere as they too expensive.

I hope you will enjoy as I have-

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found ....

This is one of the times of the year when I wish I had a membership for CostCo instead of Sam's....I'm always hearing about what great deals they have at Costco for plants in the spring and Sams has nothing that you can't find elsewhere for less and in better shape. GRRRRRRR !!!

o

I bought some hosta last year and they did very well. I guess it is time to make another run out there.

Pauline

o

I do love my CostCo membership! I've gotten some nice stuff from them - their daffs are all of very good sizes as were their anemones (though I have a heck of a time growing those....)

Julie, I wound up ordering my White Goddess glads anyway - thanks for looking! There'll likely be spares in the swap this spring *laugh*, so pretty they are worth it! Big blousey white things.

Now I just need it to finish thawing off so we can put that new raised bed in around the newer crabapple.

-Marie

o

I posted the amount of the bags incorrectly-
Try 6 hosta(Dream Queen)! 14 Lilies (6 Rubrem, 6 Album, and 2 'Black Beauty"- all my fist size bulbs)! 10 Astilbe (5 each of 'Straussenfeder and Prof, Van Der Weilenand - my favs) 30 Caladiums (Candidum Jr.) per bag!! Nice large but not huge size on all the bulbs- large to huge chunks on the astilbe - and well- one eyes on the hosta....
It is better to go early- and keep them cooler and moister than they are kept in the store for optimal performance.
I better stay away from there for a while....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here