Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy BIG bags of coarse perlite in twin cities?

Posted by penfold2 4b, MN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 20:00

I'm looking for a cheap source of coarse perlite. The big 3-4 cubic foot bags are the way to go, but I don't see them very often. I remember buying some at Lyndale Garden Center years ago, but of course that's gone now. Midwest Hydroponics carries 4 cubic foot bags, but only in medium (too many fines) and chunky (way too big). I haven't called around yet, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone knew a good source off the top of their head.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy BIG bags of coarse perlite in twin cities?

Not sure of your location, but I bought my bag of perlite at Anoka Ramsey Farm and Garden. They are right on Hwy 10 in Ramsey, which is NW of Minneapolis. I'm sure Linders and the other big centers also would have it in stock.

o

i got quite a large bag of coarse perlite at Leitner's in St. Paul, can't remember how much I paid for it, but didn't seem unreasonable.

o

Thanks guys.

Ramsey is a bit far for me, but I will check with Linder's. Leitner's looks like the type of place that might carry pine bark as well, which could be useful.

o

i get pine or fir bark mulch from Home depot and run it through a shredder. About 3.75 a bag. G

o

If you don't see it at the nursery be sure to ask as they may not sell it on the floor but would sell to someone asking. That worked at my local nursery.

o

I've purchased big bags of perlite at the Southside Farm Store on 38th and Bloomington in South Minneapolis near Powderhorn.

o

I bought pine bark fines, chopped small, at Pine Products in Waconia. Also cheap - only $3.00 per 5 gallon pail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here