Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

Hey!! Zone 4 Wintersown sprouts are here!!!

Julie
17 years ago

I could hardly believe it- but there they were- Linaria 'Northen Lights' all green and growing - out side!!

OK- so it is only 1 container so far- but soon..... there will be so many more!

Check your winter sown containers- I bet there are more out there just waiting to be discovered!!

Julie

Comments (8)

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

I checked mine - swollen but nothing sprouted yet!

-Marie

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

HEY!!! No fair!! Good for you!

The snow has melted down enough now, that I am moving my containers, I need to get them off the snow bank they are sitting on.

And I am still planting and putting them out, is that ok? or is it to late?

Jenny P

• deweymn
    17 years ago

St Paul, The first container I looked at had spinach sprouting. Just breaking the soil still curved. Now what do I do? I left the glass plate cover off most of the day and let the sun shine in. Looks like some cukes in the other half of the round container (12" dia) are poking up too. Will know tomorrow.

I'm was afraid to peek at the other containers on the north side of the yard but I will have to tomorrow. I did notice the plastic tops were wet even tho I have slits in the tops. Should I enlarge the slits? I think I will remove the tops and let the soil dry out and breathe. Those will be the flowers and the tomatos and peppers etc.

Rain sunday so everything will have to get covered back up I guess. First year of this for me but it is fun.

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All of my containers have condensation in them- and when they don't- I start thinking about watering them... Condensation is good in my book! But I am an awful waterer- beds and wee babes alike.

Now, when it gets warm enough for steam- the covers should all have been off already- I have not had damping off occur in outdoor pots- slime, moss, and some other gross looking stuff usually later in the season- but moisture for the youngins is a good thing- for most of what I grow. I also like the protection the covers offer when we get our frosts and downpours. After the second set of true leaves are out- I start thinking about showing them what the real, uncovered truth is.....

I am pretty much done with wintersowing- which is a good thing because it is spring now- so I guess I will spend the weekend cleaning out debris from what beds I can- and spring sowing my heart out! I have several types of seeds I had hoped to spare the worst of our winter weather from- but will still benefit/tolerate some chilly weather.

I am glad my dirt bags are thawed and dry and ready to go!

So- Jenny- my advise is- never stop sowing!! Well- at least until you a)run out of people, places and things to unload your seedlings, b) have to start putting in garden beds into the neighbors land to hold your plants, c) start composting 4" tall castor bean plants in September because you couldn't find any where- any one- any place else to put them.....

But- I might not be the best person to answer that particular question.....

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

I guess what I meant was, is it to late to continue to winter sow? I have a few things I still want to try starting this way.

My DH is funny, we have never started plants under lights, but this year, HE decided he wants to start his own plants.
    But doesn't believe WS will work. I have to confess though, I did plant some pots and put them under the lights too. A few things I felt needed more growing time.

Jenny P

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Once daybreak hits, I will need to get out back and check the jugs for green!

Jenny - I have many jugs (90+) sown outside and many things going under the lights indoors. I don't think I will ever be able to give up the lights. I always do my peppers and tomatoes indoors. Peppers need real warm soil to sprout in time to grow enough to produce in our climate. Otherwise most any perennial and hardy annuals can be sown whenever outdoors. I too like Julie, wait till milder weather (mid March/April) to start tender annuals outside.

I will be sowing more outdoors today! Just can't stop myself.

Sandy

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

My first sprouts today.
    Bachelors Button
    Lupinus perennis Blue Wild Lupine

• deweymn
    17 years ago

I checked Sunday afternoon and:

Several of the annuals I had put out for WS'ing had begun to sprout. The tomato and pepper seem smart enough to wait a bit more. Good. Guess I will move the sprouters to the south side of the house, maybe on top of the compost piles for protection.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting