Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north40_gw

What's up in your garden?

north40
18 years ago

Since all the snow was gone from our yard overnight, I checked out my flower beds. My tulips and jonquils are up and I was surprised to see the rhubarb was already about 3-4" tall! Also, I noticed the poppies and the hollyhocks next to the house were showing signs of growth. It's not even April yet! What's everyone else seeing?

Comments (17)

• jel48
    18 years ago

Daffodils! One of something else (bigger and red) that might be a tulip except I don't remember planting any tulips there!

• birdwing
    18 years ago

Ive had daffodils up for nearly a month..I have lots of tulips
    iris, daylilies, and scilla with little buds. Also little peony eyes and thyme greening up.Can you tell I can hardly wait?!Ive been digging under the mulch with my bare hands to peek at things.

I have crocus too but for some reason my crocus have not bloomed since I planted them 2 years ago, just leaves...

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

birdwing, the crocuses might need more sun, more fertilizer, or to be "lifted up" a bit (planted too deep)--or a combination of the above.

Pasque flower and several others plants greening up. Pussy willow's blooming.

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I haven't dug under the mulch to see yet, but I do see iris poking out above the dried leaves, and there is new growth on my Tiarella and my Heucheras. Maybe this weekend I will do some "prying". I would guess the tulips must be coming up under their leaf blanket!

Linda

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

On my morning rounds today I saw tulips and daffodils. YES!!!!

• cailleachmn
    18 years ago

I see the beginnings of my daylilies are poking their heads up. Not much else, though.

• gustaf
    18 years ago

I'm seeing the peonies, lots of tulips and crocuses, but the rabbits are eating them as fast as they come up. Is there anything those ravenous beasts won't eat?

• tammymn
    18 years ago

Daffodils, monarda, lambs ear, shasta daisy, lambs ear, asiatic lilies. hollyhocks, clara curtis, couple daylilies.

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

so far tulips, daffodils, bloodroot, rhubarb, primula auricaule, heucheras, cranesbills, sedums, arabis...I'll have to look again, that was yesterday!

Lynn

• jel48
    18 years ago

Made the complete rounds yesterday, and raked a lot of leaves (we DID rake them last fall but some blew back in from somewhere).... and the results:

Spring bulbs everywhere.. tulips, daffodils, crocus and a few others.

Jacob's ladder
    hollyhocks (hard to believe these are the plants I started in my back room last year)
    violas
    yarrow
    yellow tickseed
    purple coneflower
    What my grandma called 'Naked Lady lilies'
    iris
    candy lilies
    strawberries (were nice and green all winter)
    foxglove
    wild geranium
    onions
    sedum
    many other perennials and I'm not sure which are which

honeysuckle is budding out nicely, as are the lilacs

I LOVE SPRING!

• luvmydaisies
    18 years ago

I have tulips, Daffodils, Stone crop, crocus are blooming, Iris, daylilies, and chrsanthemums. OOH I can't wait for them to all start blooming!!

• carpenterlady
    18 years ago

Daffodils, rhubarb, lavender and chamomile(they were covered with clear plastic over the winter)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

sedum, sweet grass, creepint thyme, little Bluestem, spring primrose, iris, phlox, bleeding heart, astilby, crainsbil, Native wild geranium, hollyhocks, yarrow, daffodils, columbine, jacobs latter, foam flower, tulips, lily of the valley, creeping phlox, spiders wort, and blue grama.

• birdwing
    18 years ago

and..creeping buttercup, oriental poppies, wild geranium, angelica, columbine, and big buds on my magnolia that have been there since december I thought they,d be goners but now they seem to have awakened..

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Not raking yet, too early for that here. BUT....thru the layer of dead leaves yesterday I did see poppies, cany lilies, tulips, a couple of daylily, pulmonaria, tiarella, sundrops, columbine, violas, mallow, and the elderberry buds are swelling up nicely!

Yes, this is an exciting time of year!

Linda

• jel48
    18 years ago

Husker Red Penstemon (sp?), winter onions (forgot to mention those guys yesterday.... and oh yes.... WEEDS!~

• ginkgonut
    18 years ago

I don't have many bulbs, just a few inherited tulips. However, I noticed my 'Butterflies' magnolia flower buds were swelling and pushing off the little "shells" they have over them in the winter. I didn't high expectations for it since I rescued it from being composted for no apparent reason. A #20 size for real cheap, I had to try. The other magnolias look good too (leonard messell and kikuzaki). 'Jane' looks dead though. She's been in a slow decline since last spring though. Apricots look ready to go too.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus