Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla Lilies

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 20:45

I have never grown Calla Lilies, but I think I would like to try. I think the big red leaves would look kewl in my garden! Anyone have any hints or suggestions for me?
What type? How do I start them? How many makes a nice display?

Thanks
Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla Lilies

Do you mean Cannas? The easiest way is from rhizomes, for earlier bloom you may want to start them in a pot inside and plant them out when the weather is warmed. Some have striped leaves, some plain green. As to the type you just have to see what you like. Check out Old House Gardens.

o

If you are talking about Calla lilies, your best bet would be to plant them in pots or plant them in areas where you can easily did them up in the fall. Calla lilies (not a 'true' lily, by the way) are not hardy here. You would either have to treat them as an annual or dig them up and bring them inside much like you would Canna lilies...Calla/Canna, which ever you mean/choose, you will have to dig up in the fall and store in a dry/cool place for the winter.

o

LOL Now I am confused! I knew they were not hardy here and I would have to dig the. When looking at pictures in my catalogs or on-line they only show the flowers! What I want I want more for the big leaves. The flowers are secondary. Now I don't know which one, Calla or Canna!

Jenny P

o

Canna is the one that has the spectacular leaves...they can be very large AND very colorful!
American Meadows has both on sale, but here is one of their Cannas that not only has a beautiful flower but also some striking folage:

http://www.americanmeadows.com/SpringFlowerBulbs/CallasCannas/OrangeCannaLilywithvarigatedfoliageStripedWonder.aspx

I've used American Meadows for Peonys and Lilies for the past few years and have always been VERY pleased with the size/quality of their bulbs for the price...

Look at both the Canna and the Calla lilies and hopefully this will help clear things up.

o

Thanks Michelle! That's actually the web site I was looking at, they have some other things I would like. And I thought as long as I was ordering I would try something I had never done before.

Now I need to decide what to order!

Jenny P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here