Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandy_line

Blueberries and bears-a problem?

After mentioning to a friend that I plan to start Blueberries this year he commented that I must be meaning to feed the bears. It did not occur to me that the bears would really love my berries. And wouldn't you know it, I have a resident bear in the neighborhood.
Does anyone have any experience with bears and their berry crops?
--North Country Blueberry---

Comments (5)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

We've had black bears here for 15 or 20 years. IME they eat the wild blueberries in the woods, and they get into the farm field next door to eat corn, and they have taken bird feeders from near folks houses, but they haven't bothered the blueberry bushes that I have planted that are relatively close to our buildings. At least around here, I think that as long as there are foods that are easy to get that have equal calories/appeal that are not close to people, our bears will go for those first. I don't put out bird feeders since we started having bears since I don't want them to get the idea that our house is a good place to find food. When we do see the bears, they turn tail and head the opposite direction, so I know that they would just as soon not deal with us. I don't know how habituated your bears are to people, your mileage may vary.

• posieh
    10 years ago

I've heard that it depends on the wild crop. If there aren't a lot of wild berries they might try out your patch.

• northernmn
    10 years ago

Both of the above posts are right on.

This will be the 4th and 5th summers in the ground for my 36 blueberries bushes. They are in a high fenced area with my fruit trees and raspberry plants. The fencing is not bear proof but so far they haven't broken in.

There are quite a few bears in my area too.... 30 miles NNE of Brainerd. 3 years ago I had a bear wander within about 200 feet of me ( while I was in the garden) before he scented me and ran.

I have an electric fence system that I can install if they ever become a problem, but I prefer not to set it up if I don't have to.

What may be a bigger problem is our winters. 2 of the last 3 winters, I have experienced severe desiccation/freeze burn on my blueberries. Winters when we get more than 20 below zero in December seem to be the worst. Especially if it comes before the snow is deep enough to cover the blueberry bushes.

The higher on the bush shoots, and young shoots, die off. The bushes all survive but about 50% of their top growth and 60% of that years crop are lost. This is a much bigger problem than bears if you are located north of Brainerd.

Definitely pick varieties that have a very low growth habit. I'm about ready to pull out my 4 Bluecrop. They are a taller variety that gets hit particularly hard with the winter kill.

• northernmn
    10 years ago

I just checked the blueberry bushes again today, and some varieties survived much better than others. Polaris and Blue Crop had the most winter damage. Maybe 50% of their top growth is dead. Chippewa, North Blue, Superior, Friendship, and the "Unknown" varieties actually did much better than I originally thought. Less than 20% of their growth was damaged.

Because the blossom buds on the surviving stems are quite heavy, my actual potential for harvest is higher than I originally thought.

Since bears won't be a high risk problem, be sure to pick the varieties that you plant carefully. Look for varieties that have a low growth habit. Be sure that your soil has been prepared very well for blueberries. Highly acidic and organic soil is a must.

• HU-232703303
    2 years ago

Just noticed that an animal tried to get into my blueberry bush enclosure which is constructed of 2" x 3"'s to which 1" chicken fencing is stabled (3/4" stables). One of the corner posts was broken and part of the chicken fence was ripped (torn) apart. I'd put the enclosure to keep out the birds. But, no bird did this. A human couldn't do it either, Had to be a bear.

dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn) thanked HU-232703303
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio