Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2013 Plant Swap in St. Paul?

Posted by UPucker 4b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 21:43

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone is doing a plant swap this spring? I am in St Paul(Como Park). I started a ton of seeds already, and will be starting more when they arrive in the mail. If anyone is interested in anything I am starting here is a list of what I will have.

Carolina Reaper
Red Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Red Habanero
Orange Habanero
Long Red Cayenne
Numex Big Jim
Jalepeno
Chinese Giant Sweet Pepper
Keystone Giant Sweet Pepper
Rutgers Tomato
Bloody Butcher Tomato
Mortgage Lifter Tomato
Super Beefsteak Tomato
Aji Lemon Drop Pepper
Black Beauty Zucchini
Early Prolific Straightneck Squash
Black Beauty Eggplant

I will be planting some of each in the garden, giving some to friends and family, and the rest will need a home.

This post was edited by UPucker on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 4:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2013 Plant Swap in St. Paul?

I'm interested in some tomato swaps and maybe some peppers, how do you keep you tomatoes right now? seems a bit early to start them because they grow so fast there gonna be huge by May.
here's my list of potential swap items, that I have started or starting.

Yellow onion
Burgundy onion
Big Dipper Pepper (bell)
Jalapeno Pepper
Baby Red pepper (baby bell)
Manitoba tomato
Jubille (yellow) Tomato
Detroit Beets
and much more to come!

o

I built a seed starting shelf to start seeds indoors earlier this year. Normally I start seeds and buy seedlings in the spring. This year I wanted to try starting indoors to try and get fruit earlier in the season.

I started mostly peppers already and will add more tomatoes as I move things from the trays into pots. It is a learning experience. I was worried about it being too cold, but I already fried a dozen tomato plants. The lights were too close over a humidity dome and the temp jumped to 108 by the time I checked on it in the morning. :(

My list will need updating. A trip to Menard's today to get more 1020 trays and all the seeds were an additional 20% off. So I picked up a few. I also will be receiving some new peppers and tomatoes in the mail and starting them as soon as I get them. I have plenty of space and several 4' 4-bulb t8 fixtures.

I would be interested in the peppers and tomatoes you have. Maybe 1 or 2 of each. It will depend on how much space I have in the garden. I am also thinking about growing some in pots.

This post was edited by UPucker on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 3:38

o

I just started Hot Lemon Peppers and Brandywine Pink also.

o

Question for Salix 311......Are you a willow fan?

o

I also just started the following peppers:

Cherry Hot
Marconi Red
Cubanelle
Poblano
Sweet Banana
Hot Hungarian
Twilight
Black Cuban
(thanks Bruce esox07)

I will be selling the extras on craigslist, but If anyone here wants any they will be free. Some of the super hots will be in short supply as friends/relatives have spoken for some, and I only started 20 of the Carolina Reapers so I will not have any extras.

o

I started my tomatoes about a month ago so I don't think now is too early. They will get potted up in a week or two. I don't think it's too early. I'm still hoping for planting out around end of May. My peppers I started over two months ago and are about five inches tall. I never have great luck with peppers so was trying to get some growth before I plant them out.

o

If anbody wants to trade anything or wants some freebies let me know. Some of the tomatoes I am planting are a foot tall already. The freebies are the smaller ones. I plan on putting the best in my garden. :)

o

Well, not in St. Paul, but we'll be swapping in Mantorville at 2pm if you're interested (potlucking for interested folk @ 1). I'll have a number of rooted brugmansia cuttings as usual and whatever else I dig/pot this week and am open to dividing some (but not all) perennials in my yards.
Repost for directions if interested.
Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here