Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkni

MN invasive species?

katkni
12 years ago

I received tansy in a round robin exchange today, and found it on the MN DNR invasive species list.

What are the best resources to check for invasive species in MN? Is there anything you've planted that you wish you hadn't? What seeds have you received in a swap that you couldn't use here, and what did you do with them?

Comments (16)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

The DNR site is an excellent source of info. Are you wanting to know just about invasive species or do you also want to know about those plants that are not considered invasive but can be aggressive growers?

• katkni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm interested in hearing about aggressive plants that may not be on the DNR list. My seed selection has greatly expanded this year from swapping, so I have a few things I've never heard of much less planted.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Just off the top of my head: Physotegia (obedient plant), anemone 'Robustissima' agepodium (Bishops Weed, aka Snow on the Mountain), ajuga,Ranunculus repens 'Buttered Popcorn', creeping jenny. It might be easier if you list the seeds you are wondering about.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    12 years ago

But, Physotegia (obedient plant) is a native species that grows in this area. So it is not considered invasive, is it?

• sandysgardens
    12 years ago

I have several types of Physotegia (obedient plant). My pink is beautiful but travels the garden like a mad dog. My white however, stays pretty content where she is. Her clump slowly grows, she does't send runners everywhere like the pink.

Sandy

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

No it's not an invasive but in it's "happy place" it certainly can be an aggressive grower.

• katkni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hostaholic, there's not any I can think of specifically, I'm just interested in hearing about what others have learned. Definitely agree on the Bishop's Weed. Plus I think it's not all that attractive.

There's a great publication about the Lake Phalen Shoreland Restoration that I'd love to look at again now that I'm gardening: http://www.rwmwd.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC="C9CD90B9-75C1-4678-AFFD-AEE1224FD7AD>;

I do wish creeping Charlie were not such a weed, because I love how it smells when you mow it.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Well, look at the positives of Creeping Charlie. It smells good, pollinators like it, the leaves can be added to salads ( as long as it hasn't been sprayed) and I read something awhile ago about it being useful for phytoremediation of contaminated soils.

• salpal
    12 years ago

I have some ammi "graceland" seeds, but think they may be invasive and didn't dare plant them last year, does anyone know about them? Thanks!

I've seen tansy growing up north in the wild and always liked it. (then I discovered they say it's invasive)

• soilent_green
    12 years ago

Around my area, varieties that come to mind include Ox Eye daisy, Catmint, common blue violet, Feverfew, Ribbon grass, Snow on the Mountain, Vinca, and Queen Anne's Lace. Of these, I find Snow on the Mountain and the common blue violet to be the worst. Snow on the Mountain can take years to remove without using herbicide. The violets spread by rhizomes as well as literally launching lots of seeds out of pods - out of control in some areas here, has gotten into the lawn and is naturally resistant to the popular lawn herbicides. I don't like using herbicides anyways so I finally gave up and I just ignore and mow them now.

Of all true invasives by definition, European Buckthorn is hands down the most evil thing I have ever encountered and had to deal with. It is so pervasive that I have given up trying to eradicate it from my woods. It is a wasted exercise because nobody else around me attempts to eradicate them from their property so I could never succeed even if I tried. Birds love the berries and greedily devour them, thus spreading the seeds everywhere.

• katkni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ugh buckthorn. I spent a summer doing yardwork for the elderly/disabled through a social service agency, to help keep people in their homes. Pulling creeping charlie by hand - kind of a pleasant chore, easy and rewarding. Pulling buckthorn seedlings - pure hell.

After looking up the ammi - is that related to queen anne's lace? It looks similar, but I don't know how to "read" the botanical names to know if they're related. I do think of Queen Anne's Lake as noxious, and was surprised not to see it on the official list.

• katkni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hostaholic - you're preaching to the choir on the benefits of creeping charlie. My neighbors get it because they cut their grass too short. We leave ours at 2-3 inches, so I'm sad to say it doesn't spread to our yard.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

I can't speak from experience, but this wildflower site says it's not invasive. It's an annual so you could always just deadhead most or all of the blooms to keep it from reseeding or keep reseeding to a minimum.
    I am with you on the buckthorn, a never ending battle.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildflower info

• posieh
    12 years ago

In my area I don't find any of the plants listed as invasive except Creeping charlie and Queen Anne's Lace. I'm wondering if some plants are invasive because of the area and soil conditions?
    What is invasive in one location isn't in another. Tansy does grow wild here but I let some grow to use as an insecticide and for dried flowers. I'd love to get Snow On The Mountain to grow but it refuses to do so. Yarrow can be a problem here.

• janroze
    12 years ago

I have to believe anyone who buys snow on the mountain, doesn't know what they are getting into.

My neighbor had the pros out multiple times trying to get rid of it. They finally dug up the garden three years in a row - shrubs and all. It still comes back some and I am afraid it is getting stronger again.
    Getting in all the shrubs was bad enough, but when she was ill I was trying to pull it for her and discovered the nasty stuff was crawling up under her siding. Yuck
    gramma jan

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

I hear you. I finally got rid of mine (NOT planted by me) when the county widened the shoulders on the road. They took out some trees with a bulldozer and the snow on the mountain went with them. Note: I did not attempt to protect the s o t m by chaining myself to it. It should be noted it was in a somewhat weakened state because I had applied round-up for three years running. Otherwise it's possible it would have strangled the dozer.