Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randyw_gw

Any Zone 4 success w/ Cornus Kousa?

randyw
19 years ago

There are a few nurseries & web sites that indicate that Cornus Kousa may be hardy in zone 4 (most say zone 5.)

Is there anyone who has such a tree in zone 4 that is surviving & doing well? If so, what variety, & does it require any special growing conditions?

Thanks,

Randy W.

Comments (11)

• lynnsherbs
    19 years ago

We have several cornus - I'm not sure of the latin names for the varieties. One is a pagoda and several are the red twig varieties. They are some of our favorite shrubs!

Lynn

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Randy,

I am growing cornus kousa. I can't say I'm growing it well, but it's survived 3 summers and 2 winters for me, excluding the 2005 season (no flowers yet). Though that may sound like a bleak assessment, I hope you will take it as hopeful and give it a try. There are those who beat the odds--I hope I'm one of them and that you might be as well.

If you give it a shot, let us know.

Kate

• newgars
    19 years ago

Last fall I notice that the Norbertine Abby here in Green Bay, WI had a large Kousa growing near its front door. I have no idea as to its history but it is definately in a very exposed z5a situation. Hopefully I will remember to report on its condition come spring - which looks to be at least 2 months off the way things are going right now.

• newgars
    19 years ago

Just checked the condition of the Norbertine Abby kousa - all growth appears to be alive and well. Our minimum temp this winter was -13°.

• newgars
    19 years ago

Follow up on the Norbertine Abby Kousa. No die back and the buds are beginning to swell. Appears to have a number of healthy flower buds as well.

• taft
    19 years ago

I think it all depends on your growing environment. If you plant these ahrubs/trees in a protected area, ie out of direct northerly winds, you'll have more chances of success.

I have planted Pagoda dogwood, several of them, over the years. At my house, out in the country, they are subjected to brutal winter condition's. I always have die off of branches that need to be pruned out every year. If I can get one to live through the first winter, it will usually be alright, but suffer from die back every year. For instance, I have one right now that is just forming buds so I can see what parts are alive and what parts are dead and most of it is alive but this particualar shrub is 5 years old this year. Another one planted about 15 feet away only has leaf buds on all the outer branches...all of the inner most branches apparently died this winter so I'll be pruning them all out. That shrub is only 3 years old. I had a third one that died last year and I never replaced it, just didn't have the time to look for one. I do try to buy smaller, more compact plants from the nursery's. They seem to do better for me than ones that are much larger, say 4-5 feet tall already. A big one always dies out in the first winter in my artic circle micro climate.

Mine are planted on the northern part of our yard, and thus just get pounded by the winds. When one dies out completely I just go buy another and start again. Sooner or later I figure I'll hit some misfit plants that can survive.

• leftwood
    19 years ago

hgtvme, I wonder it you are having disease problems rather than winter hardiness issues. Pagoda dogwood is susceptible to fireblight and at least one canker pathogen.

Are you seeing discolored and/or sunken bark?

Rick

• newgars
    18 years ago

Norbertine Abby Cornus kousa in z5a (Wisconsin) continues look very good. No winter injury this year. Plant looks vigorous and happy.

• Mary4b
    18 years ago

I planted two Kousa Dogwood Trees last summer and they both overwintered beautifully and look great this year. I also planted a Japanese maple which did NOT make it, although I have another Japanese maple that I planted 4 years ago and that one is just fine. I am south of Green Bay in the Appleton Area, at the northern tip of Lake Winnebago. I planted one on the south side of my house and the other one on the south east side of a huge Colorado Blue Spruce. So far, so good....but no bloom this year.
    I also have a Pagoda Dogwood Shrub/Tree that I got as a volunteer Seedling from my sister in Elk River, Minnesota. She had one do beautifully for years. I've had mine for 4 years now, and it even got chopped down once by some people who came to help me weed and didn't know what it was. I'd say that one is VERY hardy!

• kms4me
    16 years ago

Cornus kousa bloomed quite well for me and even set berries and seed in 2006. Bloomed last year but blooms were disfigured by late frost and I had no berries or seed, but the plant grew very well.

kms

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I have to trim out parts of my three pagodas every year, but they come back vigorously. My yard is a bit sheltered, but not overly-so. I'm on the Northernmost edge of Saint Paul.

-Marie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES