Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darlababy_gw

Need advice for low maintenance bed on the North side

darlababy
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to gardening, and have enjoyed reading the posts. What a wealth of information you all are! I'm not technically in Minnesota- just right across the river, so I hope I'm still accepted. :-) Question for you... What would you suggest for plants in an area on the North side of my garage? It is fairly narrow (32 inches), runs 21 feet long and gets some late afternoon sun. Since it is so narrow, I don't have much room for layering, but would like some eye-catching color as it is the first area I see when I pull up to the house. I'd like to keep it fairly simple, and don't want a lot of high maintenance plants in there. Initially I was thinking of filling it with just Annabelle Hydrangeas, but I'd like some more colors and textures to go with them. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• rdubow
    17 years ago

Swamp Mallow???? Mine grew in mostly shade area (4 hrs sun maybe)had purple flowers and got about 2 feet tall and bloomed ALL summer last year with like 30 flowers on each plant at all times. They look great planted with Hosta right below/in front of it!

Maybe since you want color you need to look at annuals..and the ones you like you can collect seeds from and plant next year!

How much sun do you get in the area???

• Julie
    17 years ago

Try toad lilies, spider wort, balsams, unique impatiens like balfouri, talinum Jewels of Opar, leopard's bane, aruncus, astilbe, some campanulas, anemones, lilies, nicotiana,
    But don't forget the foliage plants- Hosta of course, ferns, cimicufuga, ligularia, soloman's seal, heuchera,
    Really- there are so many to choose from!
    Enjoy!

• maidofshade
    17 years ago

I'm with Julie,
    If the area gets enough water, I would put in some shade loving perenials like Hosta and mix in some annuals for color. If it is really "shady" maybe you'd have to do coleus or something but I have grown quite a few plants on the shady side. Just make sure that the eaves or gutters don't prevent water from getting to the area or you will have to get out the hoses! I have some plantings along side a garden shed and didn't realize at first how dry it got there-- so I just help it along with hand watering.
    Cheryl

• darlababy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great ideas! The area gets sun from about 3 or 4 O'Clock on, so I wasn't sure if the true "shade-loving" plants would get fried or not.

Rdubow, is Swamp Mallow a type of Malva like Malva Moschata? If so, I'm Winter Sowing some of those. They'd be little this year, but worth a try in that area as well.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

Hostas and hydrangea sound nice to me. Does it matter if the hydrangea flops? Cimicifuga and the tall meadow rues, like 'Lavender Mist' or 'Elin', give you height while staying narrow and upright. Grape-leaf anemone (Anemone tomentosa var Robitissima) has beautiful pink blooms in fall but does sprall a bit. For a low mound, maybe Lady's Mantle or brunnera would be nice. I'd also think about some creeping gound covers to knit everything together - ajuga, lamium or vinca?

Have fun - Ted

• parrotslave
    17 years ago

Some great ideas so far.

I'd also suggest a peony on one end just because they are so easy to care for and have such great blooms.

And maybe a trellis against the garage with a clematis?

And a bleeding heart near the walkway with lots of heucheras (I just adore their foliage.).

• darlababy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, everyone! I'm really excited about looking up all of the plants suggested. And, more importantly, getting my hands dirty! I'll also be making some beds around our new deck in the backyard. I feel more confident with sun-loving plants, though. The last of the snow in my yard just melted today....ah!

• rdubow
    17 years ago

I mean't MALVA -SYLVESTRIS I believe is what I have! It is in the shade/part shade with hostas lining the back of the one of my gardens...it grows like 2-3 feet tall and blooms little purple flowers all over it from mid summer-late fall!I mean TONS penny size purpleand white flowers all over it!Not to mention, it reseeds its self prolifically!!!So it is a perennial here! I rarely watered mineand it did just perfect! It is for sure one of my favorites out there!!! I got minefrom Wagner's Greenhouse off Penn and 62 but you might be able to get seeds!

• darlababy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Another great idea- thanks! I'll look into that kind of Malva.

Sponsored