Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is heat a problem with raised beds?

Posted by srj19 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 1:08

I'm thinking about building a raised bed (no direct contact of the soil with the ground), I'm worried however that maybe this will lead to very hot soil and that may stress the plant/roots.

Any thoughts?

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is heat a problem with raised beds?

I would think this is no different than growing in containers during the summer. Not letting it dry out I think is more important than soil temps. Depending on what you want to grow, the warm soil temps could be beneficial.

o

I'm going to try and nail a couple of 8" X 10 ft peices of pine together to make a V then cut some supports to cradle the V.

I'm trying to help out my parents who dont have a good area to plant directly in the ground. Trying some haricoverts green beens. I've planted these before and they seem to not need very deep soil so we'll see how that works.h

o

Most of my gardens are raised beds - they get extra warmth in spring when they need it and prevent many of the ground rotting we get around here. It's so easy to mulch them and for water conservation they are fantastic! Don't worry about "heat" - they are further off the ground and hence get a little more breeze as well (depending on how raised they are) and more aeration. SO much easier on pest management too because you can isolate/cover/treat just one bed at a time. In winter you can cover the entire thing with mulch and leaves, toss on some chicken wire and you are good!

-Marie

o

Scott, I'm curious how you are going to do it with "no direct contact of the soil with the ground"...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here