Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog Toilet

Posted by zenpotter z4 MN (zenpotter@tcq.net) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 8:55

Got your attention didn't I.

I have a puppy and am designing a garden area for him. He is already trained to go in one small area. I want to dig down and put rocks/pebbles in the area to make it easier to clean up. He is a minature poodle I need to get the right kind for little feet.

Can anyone tell me what to get? I have googled it and gotten a list of ideas, none that jump out at me. I do like the look of potato stones, but have never seen them around here.

If you are surprised that I have a miniature poodle I am too. He is a rescue dog and it is a long story.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog Toilet

Pea gravel seems extra appropriate.

o

Given the play on words it probably is.

o

Seriously though, I know that our larger dog would not like to have rocks underfoot. Maybe there is dark sand or very small pebbles that would work. Maybe some fine gravel used in fish tanks? You can buy this in large bags at places like "World of Fish". Let me know what you find that works and doesn't look atrocious, because we would like to make a similar area.

o

We went out looking yesterday and haven't decided what to get yet. We may just buy one or two kinds of gravel/sand and try them out.

I asked the dog trainer we go to and she uses wood mulch for her dogs, but she has big dogs with short coats. We had straw out for him to keep dry and have less mud on him when it was thawing. He came in with so much straw stuck on him we had almost as much straw in the house as outside.

o

Fran Kiesling might still be operating Dirty Dog Landscape Consulting & Design. You can probably google for interviews with her and glean some quick info that way.

o

Thanks, I googled her and she suggested wood mulch, pea gravel and river rock. She also suggested trying out different things to find out what your dog likes.

o

I know exactly what you are describing when you say you had as much straw in the house as outside. We had a little yorkie that we called velcro dog because everything stuck to his fur. We made a special area in the yard for him and used small pine nuggets. It worked great, he didn't mind walking on it at all - he was kind of particular - and very little of it got tracked back into the house. Good luck. Rescue dogs are the best!

o

Small pine nuggets? What are they?

Yes poodles seem to be made of velcro as well. Yesterday I had him outside with me and what a mess to clean him up when it was time to go in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here