Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzygardener

Fast growing vines

jazzygardener
17 years ago

I'm looking for some fast growing vines that will cover my trellis along the fenceline for privacy. This area gets partial sunlight. I'm not picky about the type of vine, I'm thinking about planting wild grape vines they seem to grown on everything. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• rdubow
    17 years ago

There is Honey Suckle vines, Clematis, English Ivy......just be careful toknow if you are wanting an "invasive" vine that will attach itself...and can ruin paint jobs or one like Clematis/Morning Glory that will not harm things! Go to a nursery and discuss it with them!

• deweymn
    17 years ago

I went to the local nursery with that question about three years ago. I wanted something to cover a south facing garage wall along an alley and be hardy for this area. She sold me a rooting(?)for $35 and I planted it. Nothing much the first year but by the second year it took off and covered the whole garage from the one end of the garage where I planted it. It has green leaves and berries in the fall but I don't remember the name of it.

I took part of it and put it in the front yard by a fence and it grew well there too but not as prolific as where it gets all day sun and water by nature mostly.

• jazzygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deweymn- That sounds like the type of vine that I'm looking for. If you find out the name of it please let me know.

• deweymn
    17 years ago

From some research I think what I got was Boston Ivy. (The search feature here had these two):

1, I have been wanting to grow this myself for its beautiful color but been afraid of it being too aggressive. What I have found from research on it is that well it is aggressive just as much as the english ivy. To cover the fence with a good thick cover will probably take three summer seasons. Ivy rule goes something like this: first year it sits, second it creeps, third it leaps! Couldn't think of a rhyming word for the first year, ha, ha. I have found this to be true with my english ivy so should hold true for the boston. By the thrid year make sure you have a regular maintenance plan for keeping it contained to your desired area as it will keep climbing and reaching. Good luck!

2, Boston Ivy is the type of ivy found on the walls of the Ivy League colleges in the north east. It's been growing on those brick walls for 100 years or so and seems to do them no harm.
    It is different that English ivy in that it sticks with suction cups on it's branches and doesn't send tendrils into the structure like English Ivy. Also it is deciduous...looses it's leaves in the fall. English ivy keeps it's leaves and therefor keeps walls wetter during the winter.
    Once the Boston Ivy gets going....it goes fast....but be patient for about 3 years.
    As a side benefit, it has berries that birds like, and when it gets really thick birds often build nests in the vines.
    Linda C

Mine loses it's leaves in the fall and did what these two described. In my case I wish I had gone with the English Ivy because it keeps it's leaves.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

Boston ivy does well here, as does it's cousin, Virginia creeper. English ivy isn't really hardy here, except maybe as a ground cover.

Wild grape gets to rampant for most sites, plus it want's to take up a lot of horizontal space.

Honeysuckes are nice, hardy kiwi vine has varigated foliage. I like the native Clematis virginiana for a big space. Wants a bit more sun then shade.

I always heard '1st year it sleeps, 2nd year creeps, and 3 year leaps'. Really that applies to most plants!

Ted

• kimeryl
    17 years ago

I planted Engelman Ivy along a fence and it spreads like crazy. It also is particularly pretty in the Fall, when the leaves turn reddish-brown. I planted 2 plants one year, and by the next year, the fence in a corner of our yard was densely covered with leaves. I had the fence rebuilt and wanted to save the ivy, so I carefully pulled it off the fence. When I got home, the builder had chopped all the ivy down, and had added about 1-2 feet of soil over the area where the ivy had been planted. He swore that it was indestructible and would come back stronger than ever, and he was right. Most of the vine is in partial shade, and still does well.

• Julie
    17 years ago

UUUGGGGGGHHHH-
    If you want Virginia Creeper with it's very nice red fall color- and pretty berries that the birds will eventually eat- You can come help yourself to mine!! It is growing up the front of my stucco house- which is nice- but it requires a "haircut" several times a year or it would swallow our house whole! It is trying to take over the shrubs in front- and the woods out back too! I fear that it may win..
    Or grapes- come take my grapes too!! I have them growing over a chain link fence- which is nice- it looks like a wall of shrub from the street- but again- the birds eat them and spread them all over!!
    You can have as much of either as you can carry if that is the way you want to go-
    I would suggest getting a nice tame vine that may take a few years to establish, a clematis or such- and use morning glories or any of the other beautiful annual vines till it becomes well established.
    It will save you and you neighbors a TON of work every year...

Julie

• belle_michele
    17 years ago

I made the mistake of thinking Hops would make a nice 'filler' for a chain link fence...Talk about SCARY!!! I swear, if you stand next to it for more than a few minutes it will start to creep up and cover you! Then it suckers like mad... I actually like it but it takes some work and vigilence to make sure it doesn't take over the yard and cover the house. I'm sure I'll have a ton of suckers show up in the next couple of weeks so let me know if you'd like a couple.

I got lulled into a false sense of security by a grape I planted next to the house. The first two years it was nice and well behaved...after that it turned into a MONSTER!! The grapes (I think it's a concord) are soooooooooooo good and the one vine puts out of ton of them, that I've compromised and and now prune and trellis it severely. None of the grapes I planted next to my fence did well, and finally just died. I planted the one by the house just because I'd had potted all summer, it was fall, and I happened to have a hole dug next to the house. I honestly did not expect it to live, let alone thrive!

I want to try some hady kiwi, I think the foliage on the arctic beauty is really pretty and supposedly the fruit is good as well. I understand they are another vine that follows the three year (1st year sleeps, etc.) adage.

I have a 'neighbor' (and I use that term very loosely) that I would prefer not to look at when sitting on my little outside patio. I already have a chain link fence I'm I'm thinking of putting up a couple of large trelleses to block the view and give me some privacy and was thinking of planting kiwi on these.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

The birds do like the berries on Boston Ivy and as a result I do find myself pulling out seedlings each year. Other than that, it pretty much stays put. I suspect that's because it's in a large planter box and a fairly shaded area. In the spring, I prune back any wayward vines that are trying to strike out on their own away from the pergola it's covering. I'm quite sure it would be much more aggressive if it were not so contained. It is very pretty, but do be cautious of it.

• whiteirishtiger
    12 years ago

sure hope no one INTENTIONALLY ever EVER plants 'wild grape vines' .. they do grow everywhere and VERY VERY hard to get rid of. they are pulling down trees and found the 'mother vine' .. it was as thick as a my upper arm! the roots reach out and grow and grow and.. well we tried pulling them but if you miss ANY they will grow still. we hauled in truckloads of dirt and they grew up through more than a foot of dirt :( I'm fighting a loosing battle with them.
    there is a very nice vine with purpleish flowers and purple 'beans' and it grew at least the height of the (1930's shotgun) house .. they grow great on fences and easier to get rid of if you don't like them. also if you have full sun.. chayote grows to 40-50 ft tall and can help feed your family :D

• orangesali
    12 years ago

I think the vine whiteirishtiger is referring to (with the purple bean pods) are hyacinth vine. I've planted it on my fence, and it's beautiful :)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath