Are they going to survive 3 nights of (way) below freezing? Did any of you

cover anything? If so will you take the covers off during the day or leave them

on for the next 3 (or 4) days?

(i asked this in the tulip thread but it looked like it was going to be ignored

that way so..)

Comments (12)

• meeperx
    17 years ago

I tried-but I was/am sick with some nasty cold virus-so only about 1/2 my plants got covered yesterday (used upturned plant pots, straw, leaves). I went out this morning and kicked some leaves over more stuff I missed. At least I was too lazy to bag the leaves when I first uncovered everything so I had something to work with :)

I'm not going to uncover anything during the day. It doesn't look like temps are going to be much above freezing till Sunday or Monday anyway.

So many tulips are up too-with about 4-5 inches of growth. I hope they make it!

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    17 years ago

I am hoping Mother Nature is doing a good job of it. . . 12 inches of new snow yesterday. Last night's temp was 12 degrees. Lucky for me, my daffs and tulips have not broken through the tundra yet.

Andie

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Nope! I figure with the sustained cold temps, pots and blankets etc. probably won't do much good. Not like protecting them from an overnight frost. I'll just live with whatever Mother Nature throws my way.I'm just thankful that most of my plants are still sleeping.

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

*sigh* nope, but I'm lucky - I may be in St Paul but my tulips weren't up very high. Just my crocus blooming so far, and the tips of the bloodroot and wild ginger - they don't care. So, all that might get nipped that I'm worried about (non natives) is one zone 6 rose (but it's still kinda tucked into it's raised bed) and a few other things in there, and my clematis were both budding up - can't really cover those! Nature does as it pleases...

-Marie

• Julie
    17 years ago

Nope- left it all to it's own devises-
    So far- none are wose for the wear...

• jel48
    17 years ago

Same here.... and it's cold but it still looks like spring :-) I see these low temps are persisting through most of next week. I guess we'd have had to cover with electric blankets to keep things warm when highs are in the low 30s and even down into the 20s (weather.com says 25 is the high tomorrow).

• tammymn
    17 years ago

In my backyard in Woodbury is protected with a wooden fence. The first night I had about 6 containers with tender annuals up an inch. Lost them all. I now have a large quilt over my tender annuals that had tiny sprouts. Before I go to work I take the quilt off. We live in Zone 4 and the last 5 years I have winter sowed I haven't had to do this. The perennials-I am just leaving since they are so much hardier. I lost some profusion zinnas, Dahlia zinnas, nasturtiums and other tender annuals. I would cover any tender annual seeds that are outside. It takes only 1 minute to toss a large thick quilt over them, compared to the hours of cutting the containers, seeding, taping and labeling. I plan to cover them for the next 4 days until it warms up. TammyMN

• deweymn
    17 years ago

Better make that a bit longer. Isn't this something! I can't remember an April like this but then I haven't been a gardener for that long either where I paid that much attention to the soil. Ice out yes, water temps for sure.

I forgot a couple of WS containers out back by the garage. I know the seeds that spouted are history. My fault. I luckily have plenty of seeds and did save some special tomato and pepper trays. I also redid some trays on Wed nite and set them out Thurs morning. Now by next week at this time we should hit 40? Then 50? Then ????

I want to be diggin, rearranging, building.....not hiding out in the house again.

• parrotslave
    17 years ago

Nope.

If it can't survive this it doesn't belong in my yard.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

I guess I am glad that none of mine sprouted yet! I was getting a little bummed, but not now!

Jenny P

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Haven't touched the winter sown jugs/containers out on the back patio. No tender annuals outside to worry about, just perennials so they are on their own. To keep sain in this cold weather, I have been sowing seeds down in my grow room.
    Getting kinda out of control!!

Happy Gardening
    Sandy

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

All of mine are on their own.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21