Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

Spring plant exchange

zenpotter
14 years ago

I am checking to see if there is any interest in a spring plant exchange? I know I will have lots to share and would love to see an exchange. I would be happy to host it or help someone else organize it.

For those of you who have never attended one they are great fun. People pot up plants to share (they can be small or large or any size in between), bring in magazines and books and of course a pot luck dish to share for a fun meal. We get to put faces to the names and end up being friends that we will see at least a few times a year and maybe more. In the past there have been spring and fall exchanges as well as a mid-winter seed exchange.

Everyone puts out the plants they brought. There is time to look around at what is out there and then the plants are taken in a organized manner so everyone gets at least some of what they really want. It is done in rounds with round one being the choice of one plant, round two, two plants and so on.

As far as pots go, you can use paper cups, extra plastic pots, tubers are put into newspaper etc. It is a relaxed and fun time. I have many plants that I got from exchanges.

If you are new to gardening you can just come along and get some plants to start you out. There are enough of us with plants to share that that isn't a problem.

I would propose May 15th or 16th as a good time to have the trade.

If this happens more directions will follow. At this point I am just putting the idea out there to see if I should go ahead with an exchange.

If anyone wants more info send me an email with your phone number and I will give you a call.

Please let me know of interest and if one of the dates works for you. I guess it would help to let you know I live in South Minneapolis near Lake Nokomis.

Pauline

Comments (76)

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please do join us. We move from place to place. I will send you an email with my address and information in a week or so. I live in South Minneapolis near Lake Nokomis and the Mall of America.

• hostaheaven_618
    13 years ago

Hi, I have never been to a plant exchange, but would love to attend. I think the afternoon of the 16th would work for me, but put me down as a maybe. It's on my calendar.
    Chris

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, Your name is on the list. I will be sending out more information when it gets closer to the time.

As you are working in the garden just start setting aside plants to trade or at least keep in mind what you can pot up. It is easier than at the last minute.

I have 12 yes and 6 maybes.

Pauline

• may8
    13 years ago

Hi Pauline, please count me in. Thanks!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got you.

• selkie_b
    13 years ago

Pauline - are we "go"? :)

-Marie

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One and all, yes we are a go. I will be sending each and everyone of you that have signed up directions to you personally.

• vinlands
    13 years ago

I've been trading through Craigslist. If I still have plants to trade, I may be interested in the May 16 event.

• lynnsherbs
    13 years ago

Hi Pauline - could you put me down as maybe for the 16th? A friend and I are having a garage sale the 15th, so that's out. Don't know for sure if the hubby can "spare" me for another day!

Lynn

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have you as a maybe.

• kcrita
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie here and would love to come! It sounds like fun and a great way to meet fellow MN gardeners!

Lisa

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa,

It is a great way to meet fellow gardeners. I am sure that is how most of us have met each other.

You are on the yes list.

Pauline

• may8
    13 years ago

I just checked several people's trade lists and found that they are all gone, including mine. I know that some of you had long lists before. Does anyone know why trade lists get deleted/cleared? Is it a bug? It happened before and I have saved my list. I will update mine. It would be nice for everyone to check and update his/hers. I would like to bring plants that people want and hope to get plants that I want too.

• jel48
    13 years ago

Pauline, Gary and I are planning to be there. Do you have my email address for the directions?

We still don't really have plants big enough to divide to trade, but will be good for borders and so on (lots of quartz and sparkle in a lot of them) and have some nice pots to share for those who are raising seedlings. We also have some small trees but I haven't decided which ones are coming with us yet. I'll post them next week if I remember.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I moved you from undecided to yes on my list. I will use your email address from the garden web to send the info. I should be able to get the directions out later today or tomorrow morning.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am having a problem. I am trying to send the directions out to all of you via your email addresses in the garden web link. I keep getting a not allowed message.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get this to you other than having each one of you send me your private email address? I really do not want to publish my address and telephone number here.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I may have figured this out. Let me try. Would you please send me an email from your account to the address for zenpotter above but type it into your email account rather than using the link at garden web.

I am crossing my fingers which is hard to do while typing.

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

I am new here as well, only 3 unexperienced years of gardening but this year I am trying to get much more involved. Count me in for the 16th. What else do I need to do so I know where to go and whatnot? Thanks!
    Tina

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After much messing around I think I have been able to get the information to everyone on the yes and the maybe list. If you don't have it yet, please let me know.

We are up to 20 people on the yes list. This should be a fun exchange. I had better get out digging again. I have much more to pot up than I have already.

Pauline

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

I have not yet received any info but I just responded yesterday.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, The info is on it's way. Anyone else?

• jel48
    13 years ago

I checked to see what trees I have available. I'll be bringing 2 each of Highbush Cranberry, Serviceberry, and Paper Birch. One of the serviceberry's is already promised for a pre-arranged trade.

I don't have an up to date trade list, but I am looking for more raspberries (we're going to put in a bed of domestic raspberries at our camp) and also deer resistant perennials. Some of the ones I'd be interested in are columbine, black eyed susan, jack in the pulpit, astilbe, larkspur, delphinium, dianthus, foxglove, coneflower, bleeding heart (especially the gold one) , bloodroot, wild geranium, lupine, baby's breath, hellebore, lupine, perennial sweet pea, catmint, peony (any color but pink which I already have plenty of), russian sage, creeping phlox, lilacs... others as well, these are just some I was able to think of at the moment.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have some columbine.

• buncobabe2u
    13 years ago

I should have some black eyed susan to bring.

I am also looking for columbine, heliopsis, some unique hostas, iris (other then the standard purple & yellow), joe pye weed in orange.

I guess this means I'm gone from a "Maybe" to a "Yes" on attending the swap.

Mary

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I moved you over to the yes list.

I potted up some columbine this morning.

• may8
    13 years ago

I will be bringing raspberries, bugle weed, orange day lily, pink lily of the valley, fever few, mint, etc. I am looking for blue berries, black berries, black currents, other fruits/nuts, lovage, wintergreen, very fragrant flowers and dry tolerant shade/part shade plants. Will trade, please see my trade list.

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

Hey Pauline, just checking in again, I would love to attend the plant exchange but I'm still not aware of where it is located. Although, it has only been a week since you said it was coming.
    Please let me know if you need my E-mail address or anything else.
    Thanks!
    Tina

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, I have used the email address with your account twice and you haven't gotten it. Please send me your personal address to the address when you go to my info here on the G.W. I will see if I can add it here but a lot of forums don't let you put an address in. zenpotter@tcq.net

Pauline

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The weather is showing 68ºand partly cloudy. That seems OK to me. Do I need to set a rain date just in case or assume it will be fine?

• adamterrie
    13 years ago

Unless it is pouring, it seems like we always do these "rain or shine."

Some light rain is always nice for the plants anyways . . I'm always thinking about the plants above myself . .

So, to answer your question - we probably do not need a back up plan. :)

- Adam

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adam, That is my idea. We did have one here that not only was it raining it was cold, it went Ok.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Weather report sounds like Sunday will be nice though cloudy.
    Don't think we need a backup plan.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am not going to set an alternative date.

I do want to say that if you happen to see a plant in my garden that you would like some of let me know and we can arrange a time for you to come back another day and get it. Most of the Hosta are not going to be split this year and nothing from my shady north hill is. I have been trying to get that hill covered for 11 years now.

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

I'm trying to locate cheap plastic pots like the ones you get with purchased plants for this event. Is there somewhere local that I can buy them like a nursery or do I have to buy wholesale somewhere?

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. Right now I am using the Styrofoam cups I got at the last seed exchange. I had used them for my wintersowing this past winter so at least they are on their third time around.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Pauline, I will e-mail you. I have not gotten address or directions yet.

So far I have monarda, bleeding heart, french tarragon, oregano, blue cohosh, echinacea, lady's mantle, one rose seedling, possibly one cimicifuga racemosa, tiarella and lysimachia.

I may be able to get some forget-me-not, jack in the pulpit, daylily and other stuff potted up in the next couple of days.

I also have lots of plastic pots of various sizes that need to be recycled/reused. If anyone is interested in those, I'll bring them as well.

Linda

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda,

Hopefully you will get them now, I sent them to your email.Please do bring the pots you have to be reused.

Is there anyone else that needs directions? If so send me your email address.

So far I have, beets, beans, columbine, prairie smoke, yarrow, monarda, and will get out to dig some more today and tomorrow.

• Julie
    13 years ago

Hi all- I do think I will be able to make it!!
    It will be so good to see you again!

As far as the pots go- call your local green houses and see if they have recycle bins you can help yourself to- or check with your county/city recycle centers, they may have have some for you as well-

Till Sunday!

Julie

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I went over to the dollar store at lunch today and found wide and deep plastic soup containers which will work perfectly with a few holes in the bottom. 4 for a buck if anyone is looking for a cheap way to pot plants up temporarily.

Tina

• lynnsherbs
    13 years ago

Hi Pauline l- I'm afraid that I will not be able to attend after all! I was so looking forward to seeing everyone again...but my step-daughter and her family have decided to stop by tomorrow. She's expecting #2 in September and having a hard time, so I have to make a change in plans.

If anyone is interested in a hardy, pink shrub rose that produces huge hips; variegated Solomon's Seal, top-set onions, chives, etc - please keep me in mind.

Blessings,

Lynn

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn, I am sorry you can't make it. I was looking forward to seeing you as well.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    13 years ago

Linda - I'll take a blue cohosh off your hands :) Mine one is doing great where it is, and I'd like another!

I'll have prairie smoke, Canadian Mayflower, Virgina bluebells, and a couple other things :)

-Marie

• lazyweeder
    13 years ago

Dang. Wish it wasn't so late in the day. I won't be able to go unless it rains. Goin fishin at 2pm. Have fun!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got in from potting up more plants. lazyweeder I really don't want it to rain either for your fishing or our exchanging plants. Good luck.

• tammymn
    13 years ago

I will be bringing a variety of stuff. Have some named daylilies Hyperion, siloam june bug, unchartered waters, golden prize, hostas so sweet, and fragrant bouuquet, lancifolia, lamium, creeping jenny, phlox, tomato & cucumbers, and I forget what else I have left. I really need my gallon pots so I am going to switch some out. If anyone has any extra they do not need I will gladly take them off your hands. Meet a nice gardner named Theresa who lives out in So. Mpls and invited her and she will be coming with some items to share!! See you all tommorrow.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

OK, here's what I'm gonna stuff in the van for the trip up:
    15 mountain asters
    6 Plume Poppies
    6 Tall Rudbekias (5-6')
    2 noid White Siberian iris
    9 each of Green and Gold Creeping Jenny
    2 Clematis Paniculata
    6 Missouri Primrose
    6 Red (good red, not 'winey') Bee Balm
    2 varigated Loostrife, may be 'Alexander'?
    1 Gunnera
    4 Candy Lily - orange
    3 Spider wort - cerise color, got at GW swap 2 yrs ago
    3 Purple Globe Flower..may not be the right name
    3 variegated artemesia
    17 green elephant ear corms
    7 Frosty Pink Brugmansias
    1 Strawberries n Cream brug
    1 White Sauvolens brug
    1 'Ollie' brug
    1 Insignis Coral brug
    1 unknown seedling cross brug (hadn't bloomed for source)
    Looking forward to seeing everyone this afternoon
    Will

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will, Not only have you potted up a nice variety you have a lot of them.

I am wondering how I will keep myself from getting to many plants.

It looks like the weather will treat us well.

Pauline

• Adelpasque
    10 years ago

I would like to attend if I may. My gardens are in rough shape. I wouldn't have any thing to trade. I'm new to a plant exchange sounds fun though.

I have emailed you with my number.

Denise Buck

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Denise,

This was a posting from several years ago. I haven't been to the web site for over a year. I guess it is time to see what is happening here.

• Adelpasque
    10 years ago

Pauline,

Sorry I missed your call on Sunday. I called Monday and left a message for you.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider