Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecobbler

English Walnut

thecobbler
19 years ago

It looks like my English walnut made it through another winter. It's been bearing nuts for about 4 years now but the squirrels have been leaving only a couple for me.

My problem with this tree is that the early grow-and-die-back cycles left me with a "clump" of two trees instead of one straight tree. The straightest one is the smaller of the two. I'm wondering if I should just leave it like it is or cut one of the trunks (and which one). It's a Solomon-like problem.

Comments (4)

• leftwood
    19 years ago

I've always wondered about Carpathian(English) walnuts (Juglans regia). Are you saying that it died back in its initial years, but now does not? How old is it? And what source did you get it from? I expect there is a wide spectrum of winter hardiness in the gene pool.

If we are to assume that there will always be times when there will be dieback, I think I would leave it be, and let mother nature do any major pruning when it wants to. On the other hand, if you think it is growing out of its vulnerability, I would prune one. I think I would take out the larger, not so straight one. Severe pruning will spur a LOT of new growth, so do it now so it will quit by fall and ready itself for winter. If you wait 'til summer, you are jeopardizing winter hardiness as it won't stop growing in time to ready itself. Or, you can wait until fall or winter.

Rick

• thecobbler
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Rick,
    I believe I planted the original about 30 years ago. It was an 18 inch twig. I got it from Gurney's. During its first winter a rabbit ate the top and that set it back. It came back and seemed to be doing well for about 8 years until a schoolchild swung on one of the limbs which tore the limb off and peeled the bark down to ground level. It died off that year. A couple of shoots came up a year later and I let them grow. That's about 20 years ago. It started bearing really nice walnuts three years ago but the squirrels only leave a couple for me. It leafs out late in the spring but the buds look quite healthy this year.

• wayne1900
    14 years ago

I have two English Walnut trees that don't seem to produce any nuts. Trees are @ 20 - 25 years old, 25-35 feet tall, good health & a lot of wood pecker holes that go all a round the trunk. Each year there are new shoot & branches but no nut pods. I prune out crossing branches & one that are heading downward.
    > What is the correct way to prune these trees?
    >Do they require a pollinator tree (male vs female)?

• leftwood
    14 years ago

Walnut trees are not male or female, but they may require a different tree of different genetics to pollinate. (I think so, but not sure). If they do, that means if you have more than one tree of the same named cultivar, they will not cross pollinate.

Trees do not require pruning, other than the odd dead branch, cross branching, etc.

Do yours bloom? If they don't have flowers, they can't have nuts. Flowers are not showy, and look like 4-6" streamers, quarter to half inch wide and hanging down from the twigs in spring after first foliage has matured. Usually more near the top of the tree than the lower parts.

Rick

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County